The Tao of Pooh

Did any of you read this book? I ended up being Piglet, the overly anxious small animal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tao_of_Pooh

The book starts with a description of the vinegar tasters, which is an actual painting portraying the three great eastern thinkers, Confucius, the Buddha, and Laozi over a vat of vinegar. Each tasting the vinegar of "life," Confucius finds it sour, the Buddha finds it bitter, but Laozi, the traditional founder of Taoism, finds it satisfying. Then the story unfolds backing up this analogy.

Hoff presents Winnie-the-Pooh and related others from A. A. Milne's stories as characters that interact with him while he writes The Tao of Pooh, but also quotes excerpts of their tales from Milne's actual books Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, in order to exemplify his points. Hoff uses many of Milne's characters to symbolize ideas that differ from or accentuate Taoist tenets. Winnie-the-Pooh himself, for example, personifies the principles of wei wu wei, the Taoist concept of "effortless doing," and pu, the concept of being open to but unburdened by experience. In contrast, characters like Owl and Rabbit over-complicate problems, often over-thinking to the point of confusion, and Eeyore pessimistically complains and frets about existence, unable to just be.[2] Hoff regards Pooh's simpleminded nature, unsophisticated worldview and instinctive problem-solving methods as conveniently representative of the Taoist philosophical foundation. The book also incorporates translated excerpts from various prominent Taoist texts, from authors such as Laozi and Zhuangzi.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I love Winnie the Pooh. I have a list of quotes on my CM profile page from Winnie the Pooh.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:54 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Haven't read it, but I want to
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2013