Government secretly collecting millions of phone records in US

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Report-Govt-secretly-collecting-millions-of-phone-records-in-US--210351431.html

My local news shared this, as posted by The Guardian, a UK newspaper.

The National Security Agency (NSA) has obtained a Top Secret court order to collect phone records of millions of Verizon telecommunications customers, dated from April 25th until July 19th.

At the request of NSA, Verizon has been compelled to hand over all information detailing the phone numbers of both parties on a call, location data, call duration, unique identifiers, and the time and duration of all calls. This is for both foreign and domestic calls.

~**~**~**~**~**~**~**

I don't like this, not one bit. It also bothers me that this is coming from a UK paper, and not a US paper. I'm not surprised that the US is silent on this one, but I AM disappointed.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 1:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't like it, either, but it doesn't surprise me. The government has had less and less respect for privacy, especially since 9/11. I wonder why it's Verizon customers, and between those dates? Something must be suspect, but it bothers me that the government seems to be able to demand anything in the name of national security anymore.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:21 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Unreal!
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 1:37 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• LOL, mine would be so boring... It would be...

Are you home?
    Good night I love you.
    K

That's the extent of my conversations.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Like to say I am surprised, but I am not seeing as our DOJ's got to seize two months of phone records from the Associated Press (AP). Boy talk about a major slap to our constitutional rights. And here I thought the DOJ is supposed to uphold those rights.
    Eric Holder also tried to deny and weasle out like he did during operation "Fast and Furious" and Obama covered for him using his executive powers to seal any documents.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/2013/06/05/ap/headlines/us_nsa_verizon_phone_records.txt

Here's an American source.  Yeah, I think it's crossing the line too.  It seems like they can justify just about anything under the guise of the Patriot Act.  My family & I are not doing anything illegal, so if someone from the Govt. wants to listen in on family drama & day-to-day plans, I'd say make better use of our tax dollars.  More importantly, give me back my rights!  On another note, you should see the crap the bank is asking us to sign for this refi.  New intrusive docs, required under the Patriot Act & supposedly to keep the banks in check.  Where do we draw the line in the sand?! 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• This situation is very serious. Our country is changing daily and not for the better. Our freedoms are being one by one taken away, and little is being done to stop what's happening. What is even sadder is that the majority of Americans seem to be oblivious to what is happening to them and their children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Mine are:
    Hi Mom,
    Hi, hows the kiddos?
    Good, they both pooped today
    Great, it's a good day. I have to go write my checks. Talk to you later.
    Bye!

This is very important for National Security. LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:06 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Obama has turned out to be more like Bush than he let on. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I wonder what the Bush hater / Obama supporters think of things like this.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I’m kicking back in I told you so corner. When are people going to realize both parties get their donations from the same exact people ?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• well...thats the Patriot Act for ya. i guess thats what happens when Congress passes & a president signs (and another resigns) an act out of fear.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:29 AM on Jun. 6, 2013