Is it safer to be up or downstairs during a tornado?

Im guessing downstairs right? Ugh my phone woke me with a tornado warning. One touched down 10 miles from here. Now a bad cell from the tropical storm is right over us .. wendy i know you're closeby so stay safe!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:16 AM on Jun. 6, 2013 in About CafeMom

• Downstairs in an interior room with no windows. Our "safe place" is actually a walk in hall closet. It would be tight but it's big enough for all of us if we squeeze.

Answer by missanc at 6:19 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Downstairs, interior room, no windows. We have a room in our basement specifically designed for that. It has room for everyone to sit safely, the walls are reinforced, it has a bathroom, and it even has a tie down hook for a dog. My great aunt and uncle designed the house (the lived here before I was even born) like this because their old house was destroyed by a tornado and my aunt was terrified that it would happen again.They had a wire-haired pointer at the time so they liked the hook to tie him down so that, if a tornado hit the house, he wouldn't be sucked up or freak out and run away.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 6:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Stay safe. I agree with basement if you have one, if not, then interior room with no windows and cover with a mattress. I saw a picture of people sheltering in an interior bathroom (no windows) in the tub with a mattress over it.

Answer by Bmat at 7:41 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• We're good, so far! It's super dark, and it's been raining since last night, but nothing too, too horrible yet. I'm not relaxing yet, though, because I'm sure worse is coming.

I definitely think downstairs would be better. And honestly? I would probably skip school. It's the last day (I'm assuming, since it's the last day here), it's not like they're going to be doing a whole lot.

mrsmom, they don't do delays here in FL. Pretty much all we get is either we have to drag the kids out in the middle of a hurricane or they cancel school for the storm and we get a bright, sunny day. lol Seriously, they only cancel school and in our district anyway, it takes a lot for them to do that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I'm pretty sure downstairs. STay safe and I hope you all are ok.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:09 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Yep- downstairs, in a basement, or bathroom or closet if you don't have a basement. If you can, use blankets, pillows or even a mattress to cover yourselves with.  Please check back when you can to let us know how you're doing.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• In the lowest part of the house (basement preferably) in a room that is the most interior with fewest windows (like bathroom or closet) in the tub or something with a mattress or similar over top of you to protect you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Why wouldn't they delay school if you are under the threat of more severe weather?! Is it the last day? I don't think I would send my child.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• If you have basement, that's the best place. If no basement- Avoid windows. Go to the lowest floor, small center room (like a bathroom or closet), under a stairwell, or in an interior hallway with no windows. Crouch as low as possible to the floor, facing down; and cover your head with your hands. A bath tub may offer a shell of partial protection. Even in an interior room, you should cover yourself with some sort of thick padding (mattress, blankets, etc.), to protect against falling debris in case the roof and ceiling fail. A helmet can offer some protection against head injury.
    My mom is disabled, and my brother couldn't carry her downstairs, so he put her in the bathtub and covered with a mattress.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 10:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Downstairs, away from windows, in a door frame, or other reinforced area.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2013