Did you know about the Christmas Tree tax?

http://blog.heritage.org/2013/06/04/obamas-christmas-tree-tax-is-back/

The Christmas Tree Tax

Some in the Christmas tree industry sought to develop a promotional program to assist its industry. After three failed attempts to set up a voluntary system, they turned to the federal government to do what it couldn’t: Force Christmas tree producers and importers to pay for a Christmas tree promotion program.

On November 8, 2011, the Obama Administration issued a final rule that approved a new program to help promote Christmas trees. The government would set up a Christmas Tree Promotion Board, with one of its goals being “to enhance the image of Christmas trees and the Christmas tree industry in the United States.” It isn’t clear why Christmas trees need help with their pristine and festive image—unless they are hiding something.

The new program would include a 15 cent “assessment” on fresh cut Christmas trees, which could eventually rise to 20 cents per tree. After significant backlash, in large part due to theefforts of The Heritage Foundation, the Obama Administration backed away from imposing this tax. On November 17, 2011, the Administration issued a stay of this tax.

Thoughts?  (beyond 'it's only 15-20 cents a tree)

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• People are buying more artificial trees. Real ones are expensive, and people are more worried about the environment than they used to be as well. As a rule, I don't think the government should prop up industries that are dying or starting to dwindle.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:03 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• i can see it now
    blackmarket holiday supplies
    we'll all be going to the seedy side of town to buy food dye (easter), popcorn (old fashioned christmas), flags (summer celebrations), crappy ties (father's day) etc.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• after I banged my head on t he desk a few times i began to wonder why we arent promoting chanukiahs
    after all that's 8 days of gifts, not just one...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• It's good to check out Snopes.com once in a while. http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/christmastree.asp
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Maybe I am missing it but what is the revenue from the tax supposed to have supported?
    The salaries of the Board?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:51 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Maybe it would help if they just kept calling them CHRISTMAS trees..instead of holiday trees....

I would think there is probably a finite number that could be sold in any given year..it isn't as if they are being bought year round.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Thats why I have a plastic tree
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• after I banged my head on t he desk a few times i began to wonder why we arent promoting chanukiahs after all that's 8 days of gifts, not just one... Answer by feralxat

Oh, I'm sure there will be a candle tax introduces somewhere.  That means that it will be that much more expensive to light up the menorah every year.  

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• LOL. It would be Etsy's biggest year yet!
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Snopes says it is a mixture and their last update was Nov. 9, 2011.

From the article linked above:

It’s never too early for Washington, D.C., politicians to dampen the holiday spirit. The House Agriculture Committee approved an amendment to its farm bill that would lift the stay blocking implementation of President Obama’s Christmas tree tax. We should be thankful the Agriculture Committee doesn’t have jurisdiction over toys.

If snopes has something to refute that then I certainly didn't see it at your link.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2013