What kind of rules would you lay out?

Lately after school my kids have been playing outside ds12 & dd10 all their little friends come over and play ride bikes wrestle whatever kids do but they are in front of our home (col-d-saq) well last week my dd10 had only her (girl) friends over it was very hot that day and thought why not hang out in the living room so we all did we had a blast. But ow it is becoming a habit I don't mind it but some days I feel like I want just me.

So I tell the kids to hang out outside and if they get thirsty I will bring them so e water in plastic cups with ice & water. We do have bottled water but those go by so quick that we won't have any left for me & my dh when we go walking/jogging. So I tell my kids to stay out of the garage & the fridge we have in there. (we also have soda)

Would you believe these 2 little boys took it upon themselves to take 2 sodas out of MY fridge, I was upset with them but firmly told them never to do that and I also had a long talk with my kids, they said that they did not listen to them...I told my kids if they are not going to respect us they don't need to be here.

What would you do ladies? I seriously thinking of getting a small water cooler.

Venting....thx for listening....ugh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Make the fridge nonaccessible by shutting the garage or locking the fridge.
    My kids knew to ask if others could come inside and play, so that was never an issue. I could say yes, or not today, anytime.
    If the kids are at your house they will expect to be able to get a drink. nine out of ten the kids would drink out of the hose. If they could not remember to turn it off they could not turn it on. Most of my kids friends liked to be at my house. They also knew I would commandeer them for a chore on occasion. "you can play in the hose but you have to get water on the plants too."
    They also knew I would set out lemonade in pitchers, to help themselves and cookies on occasion.
    If you don't like the "responsibility" of the kids being at your house, send your kids to someone else's or have them stay home alone.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Put out a few pitchers of water & cups & put a lock on the fridge.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:39 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• i have to close my garage when my kids are playing outside or else the whole damn neighborhood thinks its a free for all and they are welcome to use anything in there. id be upset too if someone took something without asking. keep the garage closed and problem solved.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I would agree with the bike lock on the fridge. A pitcher of water and some plastic cups for the kids will do. I can understand why you wouldn't want your house invaded by all the neighborhood kids, andyou don't want to become known as the place where they can snag free sodas. That will get expensive real fast.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I do not feed or give drinks to the neighbor hood kids. They can go home and get stuff. I would inform them all of that to.
    Move the soda.

Answer by louise2 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Just keep things they CAN have out in the garage. I've had to set boundaries because our neighbor's kids were running in and out too much for my husband's tastes. We moved all the Nerf toys out into the garage, and they can only play out there. I don't have a problem with drinks, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2013