What kind of rules would you lay out?

Lately after school my kids have been playing outside ds12 & dd10 all their little friends come over and play ride bikes wrestle whatever kids do but they are in front of our home (col-d-saq) well last week my dd10 had only her (girl) friends over it was very hot that day and thought why not hang out in the living room so we all did we had a blast. But ow it is becoming a habit I don't mind it but some days I feel like I want just me.

So I tell the kids to hang out outside and if they get thirsty I will bring them so e water in plastic cups with ice & water. We do have bottled water but those go by so quick that we won't have any left for me & my dh when we go walking/jogging. So I tell my kids to stay out of the garage & the fridge we have in there. (we also have soda)

Would you believe these 2 little boys took it upon themselves to take 2 sodas out of MY fridge, I was upset with them but firmly told them never to do that and I also had a long talk with my kids, they said that they did not listen to them...I told my kids if they are not going to respect us they don't need to be here.

What would you do ladies? I seriously thinking of getting a small water cooler.

Venting....thx for listening....ugh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• close the garage- so random kids are not in there first of all...
    maybe have certain hours that they can hang out inside, or certain days?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Put a bike lock on the fridge in the garage?

I wouldn't be happy either, You should give your kids some reprimand for letting their friends get the drinks. Make them pay for the replacement.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:09 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Yeah, garage would be closed or else only things the kids can have would be in that fridge. You need to let the neighbor kids know what is allowed and what isn't. Making your girls responsible for it isn't going to work. Kids don't tend to listen to other kids.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Depends on how hot it is outside. I would probably give them hours that they are to do something active (morning would be best since it's not as hot in the morning). I would allow them each to have a friend or two over for an hour or two in the afternoon inside as long as they are respectful and help clean up after themselves. I would look into different things in the community to see what I could do to keep them active or not so bored. Like going to the library. Some movie theaters will run great specials for matinees. Public pools or parks where they can do things like disc golf, or some other sport. Or toss them a few bags of lemons, some sugar and tell them to make a lemonade stand.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Yeah, I'd close the garage to start. Have your kids get their bikes or whatever out first, so they can't claim any need to go in, then close it. That solves the majority of that problem. Then just set rules on when kids are allowed to come in. Or just set a rule that your kids have to ask before they invite anyone in, so that you can say yes or no depending on your mood and what all is going on.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• let them drink out of the hose
    and lock the garage
    what if they aren't allowed to have sodas at home? you really dont want the wrath of the neighbor moms reigning down on you
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Kids will be kids, but I would def. let them know, nicely, that when they are at your house, they have to respect your rules & ask for permission before they help themselves to anything! I agree w/ charlotsometimes, maybe you could have a day or 2 a week where they can come in & hang out, but the rest of the time is outside time. Totally get where you need some time where you don't have the house over run w/ kiddos! I'd take a container of icewater out, w/ some plastic cups for them, & tell em to stay out of the garage.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• so you expect your kids to stay out in the hot weather while you stay in the cool house so you can have "me" time? Kind of messed up....

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Talk to the other parents and say that the parents make arrangements about when the kids come to play, how long they stay, etc. Also stipulate that the kids bring their own water bottles. This is not too much to ask. If you don't lay down some rules, you will become the neighborhood baby sitter for the summer. Make it clear to your children that they have to a bide by the same rules when they go visiting.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I have a rule that there is plenty of water from the tap to drink. And if you're thirsty, that's the best thing to drink. Offer as much as you want to your friends & put the cups in the dishwasher.

When they're all inside with their friends, that's when I disappear to my "sanctuary." (My bedroom lol)
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2013