What are your thoughts?

I saw on facebook this morning a girl in my 14 yo dd's class ANNOUNCED that she was riding back & forth on her bike to drivers ed & then back home & then back again to drive then back home. One way is a little under 7 miles. It is on 5 miles of riding on a gravel road and the other 1 1/2  miles is highway. It's not like this is in town riding. She is not riding with a friend, she is riding a lone.  There is no way I would let a GIRL esp ride ALONE that far. AND she announces it on FACEBOOK so anyone can see it even a pedophile as she isn't even smart enough to block her FB Page so its private for friends only. With all the rapes & abductions why would a parent even think of letting their girl do that?!?! What are your thoughts on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I think you're being a bit paranoid.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I think people regurgitate way more than they need to or should on all types of social media. Like posting vacation pictures while on vacation is pretty much inviting people to break into your home. People feel the need to announce every last detail of their lives on social media as if the world depends on this information. I rarely (that means probably once in the last year) post a status on FB. At least if I post something here, people have to work to figure out who I am.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I think it's up to her parents.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:25 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• But as for the fact that she is a girl is not what concerns me. It is the gravel road. I used to walk everywhere with my friends when we weren't old enough to drive. Miles and miles between houses. I don't think it is more dangerous today than it was back then. We just hear more about incidents now because of a 24 hour news cycle on several channels trying to fill air time.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Why do you think the parent even looks at her facebook?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Riding a bicycle for miles is not some new crazy things kids do. Stop being paranoid
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• why is a 14 yr old in driver's ed?!

beyond that, I guess it depends on where you live and if it's necessary ( no other way of getting there and such)

as for posting it on FB...I would hope the parents or child are smart enough to have it set to private
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:31 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• My only concern is about it being public on FB.

Riding a bike is great exercise.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:41 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• those parents should be reported to CPS
    letting that precious snowflake out there unsupervised
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2013

• ^^LMAO^^
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2013