Am I being too overprotective?

DD will be 15 the first wk of July. Her h.s. is about a 15 min walk away from our house, down fairly busy streets. She has been accepted to a small group called "fiddlers" from her orchestra class, & they meet twice a wk through the end of July from 9am-11am. She has walked to & from school all school yr. & wants to walk to & from these practices. When she has walked through this yr. there were always other kids going to school, & she has her cell phone on her & has to text me when she gets there, & before she leaves to come home. However, since it will be summer there won't be other students walking, so it makes me nervous... Am I being too overprotective, or should I let her walk? It would be more convenient since i've got 3 other kids to get up & ready, but the convenience isn't worth putting her safety at risk!! She will be a Sophmore, this upcoming school yr. & I know that I have to let go a little, but just not sure how much is to much at her age... What are your thoughts?

HappyEndings

Asked by HappyEndings at 12:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Are they highways or just streets in a small town? Highways I'd say NO! Town streets in a small town & during the day, I'd say yes. If it's past a main mall like a Walmart/Super Market Complex then no either.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Unless you are in a really bad neighborhood, I'd let her walk. It's good exercise, it won't be in the hot part of the day, it lets your daughter be independent. Have her take her cell phone and, like before, text you when she arrives at school and when she's leaving to come home.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Can't she catch a ride w/ another band member? Or find someone else to walk with? I'd be leery too. I know she's old enough, but nowadays you can't be too careful.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• It would really depend on the area she is walking. Could she ride a bike?
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Ok, you dont feel comfortable allowing her to walk
    When do you think you would feel comfortable?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Are there sidewalks? As long as there are sidewalks I don't see the problem with letting her walk. Just have her text you when she gets there and when she leaves if you are worried.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• It's a smallish city, & she'd be on the main roads that run past our downtown square area. No highways or major shopping centers between here & there. It's a really small group, & she's not really "friends" w/ any of the other kids, so she doesn't really have anyone to walk w/. And she doesn't have a bike, unfortunetly, but even if she did, they just passed this stupid law in our city where you aren't allowed to ride on the sidewalks in the downtown area, so she wouldn't be able to ride it anyway.... .. We don't live in the "best" area of town , but it's by far not the worst... I just worry about someone grabbing her or something
    HappyEndings

Comment by HappyEndings (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Am I being too overprotective? YES.

Should I let her walk? YES.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• It seems to me the only change is that other students won't be walking, too. I don't see why she can't walk. She can text you when she gets there and before she leaves, just like always. She'll be fine.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Personally I would let her walk. You know your own situation so much better than we could. If you are not comfortable with it , then get everyone up and take her and pick her up.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2013