Am I in the majority when I think it's not a good thing to do this?

Been looking for new employment and submitted a resume to an ad. I just got a response via e-mail from this inquiry as follows:

Thank you for having interest and taking the time to reply to our job opening. We are pleased to tell you that you have been selected into the final screening process

This job will be a rewarding and profitable career choice and we offer our employees the best salary and health packages available. We believe a happy worker is the key to a growth oriented company.

As part of our routine background check on all employees we require all applicants who have reached this stage to do a routine credit check to verify your details.

(continued)

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• This check is totally free to you and all details are totally confidential.
    Please note: We can not and will not use any bad credit to deny your application (your credit is not important to us), this is simply to verify your employment history and Social Security number. So please delete all other information from the credit report as it is of no interest to us.

To get your free credit report we suggest using this provider http://www.ageipon.com/CreditReport/4.php

Once you have received your report please send it along with your current cv to our human resources department iris.sells@ageipon.com.

Once again thanks for your interest in the position, we look forward to working with you in the near future.

If you have any questions, please get in touch with me.

William Wassel
    telephone: (206)666-9863

Would YOU respond to this?
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Please don't give out your SSN# online. That's very risky, even if the company IS legit.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I think it's a scam, don't you? I mean, who would want you to put your SSN on some online place?
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Nooooooo, barge pole, touch it do not.
    Anonymous

• Sounds fishy, look elsewhere.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I also got a response from another place - called Zapoota - saying if you click this link, you'll proceed through our final application process to award an interview. I clicked and was taken to some survey site. I did not give ANY information and left the site immediately.

I have been using Craigslist for some of my job search and now I'm seeing that there are scams or things not on the up-n-up. So, I say to all of you job hunters, please be careful out there!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Doesn't sound good to me. I wouldn't do it.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• they dont need you SSN to do the checks that they would need.. I wouldnt at any time give my SSN over an email either way
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 9:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!! it is definetly a scam, if they were really interested, and a professional place, they clearly would not be doing that. they would be professional and have you come in person to do all that. DON"T DO IT!!!!
    mojomom2006

Answer by mojomom2006 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• There is no reason they need to do a credit check. That has nothing to do with your work history. Please do not give them any of your private information. This is a big time scam to get all of your info.
    shabrown907

Answer by shabrown907 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009