Feeling alone in a crowded room

I have three children - my two oldest are on the autism spectrum and in school. My youngest is not on school yet.

This morning I took my youngest to a play group. She had a lot of fun playing with the kids. I talked with the moms. At one point, I felt a little sad - alone in a crowed room. The school year is almost over and I will have all three home for a few weeks before summer school starts. What made me feel sad is realizing I can't take all three to a lot of the play groups that the other moms can go to.

Feeling bummed!

Don't know how to shake it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• I'm feeling crappy today too :( How about the local Library? They have playtimes & crafts for all ages. Go in or call & see what they have available for you. It's free too. Hope you feel better soon.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Being a care giver can make you feel a lot of emotions including isolation , here is a web site that might help http://www.caregiver.com/
    There is also MD Juction http://www.mdjunction.com/mem/register lots of support . I do not have your situation but understand. Hugs!!
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Can you take your kids to a local park or pool? Sometimes unofficial play dates are betterthan arranged play groups anyway. I tried a Mommy and Me group and felt like a pig in a beauty parlor because all the moms knew each other and none of them seemed interested in talking to me. I hope you feel better soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Why not just really enjoy you three? Think of it as a vacation. You can all go to the zoo, or the pool or the library or bake cookies or the park or a movie or a museum. There are so many things to do and you only have a few weeks.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Thanks Everyone! I appreciate all of your advice and encouragement. :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Not really sure how being sad that you can't bring all your kids to play group for 3 weeks makes you feel like you're alone in a crowded room (are the the same one that wishes her husband would put her on a pedestal?), but 3 weeks isn't very long. I doubt life will end because you can't attend play group for 3 weeks. Enjoy your family for those weeks, and resume play group once they are back in school. Nothing to be depressed about.
    Anonymous

• I wasn't feeling that way because I can't attend playgroup for three weeks. I felt that way because I can NEVER take all 3 kids to a playgroup without help.

What pedestal?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Why not?
    Anonymous

• I was in the same situation - 3 kids, older 2 on the spectrum the youngest not. I got involved with our local autism society that had play groups for young kids. Inevitably there were other typical siblings there as well. I also got to know every gated playground in town! Many churches have enclosed playgrounds and don't mind the community using them on weekdays, check around.
    I also just started taking them places. If you never do it, it won't get easier!

Answer by missanc at 2:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• missanc - I will check to see if I can find some gated playgrounds - I haven't seen any, but I will look and ask around. I will also look into play groups with children on the spectrum. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2013