The modern equivalent of a lemonade stand?

Okay, most of us probably set up lemonade stands as kids. Earned a pocketful of change, had something to do on a hot afternoon, participated in free enterprise at its most basic level, and since we got the cups and Kool-Ade mix from our parents, it cost us nothing but time. Good wholesome experience, I get that. But I was just interrupted by my doorbell, and for the second time in the two weeks since school's been out, it was neighborhood kids selling lemonade door to door--for a dollar, no less! Hyperinflation, or are they charging me for the inconvenience of having them invade my space?

This bugs me on so many levels. First of all, what parents let their kids go ringing doorbells through the neighborhood. Ever heard of stranger danger, people? Kids have no way of knowing how annoying solicitors are. And it's one thing to walk by a lemonade stand on the street and politely say no, it's another altogether to have two of your daughter's friends on the doorstep peddling their wares. What happened to the handmade sign and the card table on the front lawn?

Okay, rant over. Have any of you experienced these new young entrepreneurs?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Around Christmas time the Mexican neighbor's kids came around selling tamales. I actually thought it was kinda funny. I would have bought some though if I'd had cash on me at the time. I love tamales! I didn't hear how much they were charging though now that I think about it.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I haven't, but it would annoy me, too. I get wanting to encourage your child, but sending them to know on people's doors like that is just a bad idea. As you say, solicitors are annoying. While I would control my temper, I would be almost as annoyed as I would be by an adult showing up uninvited and trying to sell me something.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• No, and as much as I stop everytime I see a lemonade stand to encourage the kids, I wouldn't buy from them peddling it from door to door.

Answer by missanc at 2:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• In my neighborhood it isn't lemonade it is kids wanting to mow or rake your lawn. Yeah, they bug me just as much as the adults who do it. Though I am nicer about my no with the kids.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:03 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Wow. No I haven't had the "pleasure of having the neighbors do this sort of thing.
    I think it would really annoy the crap out of me. I also think I would mention it to the parents.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• No way. I just don't answer the door unless I know who is coming over.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• A few weeks ago two kids knocked on my door trying to raise money for the fair....which is in August. We ended up giving them a zip lock bag full of all our change.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I turned them down. I figure if I ever buy a cup, I'm going to acquire an expensive habit I don't want to support.

I've bought tamales at Christmas before, but from all the work that goes into them, I guessed they were pretty much an adult enterprise, and the kids wer e just the sales reps.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• That was nice of you, Lobelia. I probably wouldn't have, only because I'll have my own to take to the fair.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2013