Buy/Not buy kitten?

My daughter really wants and asks a kitten. We try to adopt a kitten, but were refused because they let adopt kittens only in couples, but not single kitten. Couple of days ago we got an e-mail about adooooooooorable Siberian kitten to sale. It cost $1200. My husband loves cats, but currently does not want to have one, he tells it too much work. But I know if I buy it, he will love and connect with him. I myself like this kitten very much.

Advantages of adoption: Adorable pet for the family, our daughter will learn responsibility of caring for an animal.

Disadvantages: Expensive, risky (i've seen only pics of the kitten and not kitten itself), shading hair, potential initial conflict between me and my hubby.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Pets

• I would never buy a pet. There are countless animals killed every day just for existing, and countless animals needing homes. For the life of me I can't understand people who breed animals.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Or really, I should say I would never buy a cat or dog. Obviously, my fish came from a pet store, LOL.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• You should be able to go to your local Humane Society and be able to adopt a single kitten. Or check out Petfinder.com. I am a huge supporter of adopt vs. purchase. However if you do decide to purchase please do your homework and make sure it is a responsible breeder.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I would NEVER buy a cat for $1200, I would never buy an animal for that price other than a horse, so I can only imagine how pissed he would be if you came home with a cat that he says he does not want that cost you $1200.

I find it to be a crock that the shelter you went to will only adopt out in pairs because not many people will buy in pairs, look for a local pet adoptions page on FB for your area or craigslist and you will prob find one for free
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• You are right cassie_kellison...what was I thinking, sigh. Thank you. Yes, we should keep looking, even though we told that we can adopt only single adult cat...kittens need a companion to grow...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I would never spend $1200 on a cat... Go to a shelter and get a cat.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• People give away cats and dogs all the time. Check the paper
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• But_Mommie, thank you for saving the money, i never heard about petfinder.com and actually there are several kittens for adoption there. Maybe we will be able to take single kitten...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• how old is your daughter?

1200 is a LOT for an animal
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Look at different shelters, failing that, hit up Craigslist. That's how I found my latest cat.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2013