Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can my poor sd19 get her mother to give her her part of CS?

She is having problems with her vehicle and right away the mother says to go ask her dad...we're all tapped out until the end of the month yes I understand CS is suppose to go to the child but she does not want to help her with gas or anything she is relying on my dh that is not all her money she has to share with her dd.
I don't get it...I just told my sd that when things get better we'll help out but she has to do her part as well.
My sd is looking for a job so for now the mom can help her but she refuses, She makes good money she has a bf whose a welder and receiving CS.

Why do things have to be so difficult with the ex :/


Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Your stepdaughter might have always been taken care of, even when he was behind, but I guarantee you that that is because the mom did without. Make all the excuses you want, your husband neglected his obligations to his child. If it were me, I would help my child with the money, but the fact is, if I had bills that were behind because I was making sure my kids were taken care of while my deadbeat ex (Who, btw, owes about $25K, so trust me, I know what it's like when the ex doesn't pay) ignored his obligations, I'd be making sure those bills got paid once the money started coming in.

    Setting all that aside, the girl is 19. She needs to start taking responsibility for her own life and her own problems. If you can't help her, and Mom won't, then she (just like the rest of us) has to figure out her own way of dealing with it - even if that means taking the bus or giving a friend some gas money for a ride to work.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 6:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

  • child support ends when the child turns 18....

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

  • Also SD is 19, that's an adult. She needs to act like an adult and stop relying on her parents to support her.
    If it's a case where your DH is still paying back support because he feel behind then why should her mother give that money up when she had to use her own money when your deadbeat sorry excuse of a husband wasn't pay child support and making the mother of his children struggle and use her own money to support HIS kids?

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

  • If she is 19 then why can't she move out and live with you? That might be a help.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 5:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

  • this is back CS

    apparently at some point the child did go without because her dad is still playing catch up on his financial obligations
    and since the kid lives at home the money is being used to support her, clothing, shelter, heat/air, running water etc.

    Answer by feralxat at 5:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

  • Yes I know but this is back CS and she never did without. My sd always was taking care of when he got behind.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

  • True Quinnmae but she rather stay with her mom (we've tried) she says dad is too

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

  • It's probably best if you let your boyfriend handle his financial affairs with his ex, and stay out of the middle.

    Answer by Ballad at 5:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

  • If it is back CS it is not "her part of the CS", it is a repayment to her mother for moneys already spent. Mom is under no obligation to give these moneys to her adult child.

    Answer by DDDaysh at 3:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2013