Is this what an anxiety attack feels like or something else?

I've been a little stressed lately & for the past few days I have been feeling weird especially when my Son comes home from school. He's full of energy as expected but I get this feeling like light headedness, a thumping by my heart like someone is tapping on my chest, shortness of breath & I'm dizzy. It's like a little mayhem here after school & this feeling settles down after a while. I'm feeling it right now. So diagnose me! My heart is still thumping.

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 5:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Health

• Try to journal what you eat and drink everyday for a few days to try to pinpoint when you have had something that might trigger that.

Afib can present as a racing / fluctuating (but accelerated) heart rate. The risk is stroke because your heart isn't working quite correctly and isn't pumping blood efficiently so the risk of a clot becomes higher. The sinus node in your heart goes a little whack and causes the irregular heartbeat and sometimes people can get back into normal sinus rhythm with something as simple as deep breathing.

It probably isn't what it is, but it's good to chart your food, drink and meds to try to see if something is triggering it.  Plus, a physician might want to know these things if you end up seeing someone about it.  

Good luck.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Sounds very much like an anxiety or panic attack. But, take heart, they can be fixed!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Anything that is causing arrhythmia problems should be checked by a cardiologist. Some people get afib attacks occasionally. It depends on what triggers it. If it's after having caffeinated drinks then that might have something to do with it. What have you been eating and drinking lately? Taking any medications around the time this started?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• That sounds like it to me. Maybe try some meditation right before and or after he gets home. You can even do it together and then he will learn how to relieve stress too.

Big hugs Momma! Hope you find some relief.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Definitely better safe than sorry about getting your heart checked, but what you describe sounds a lot like the anxiety attacks I sometimes get. Deep, slow breathing helps me get a handle on the symptoms, although to some extent, I just have to ride them out. Try taking a few deliberate breaths from way down at your belly button, then stop, and try a few more. Take breaks between so you don't end up hyperventilating and adding to the problem.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• That's what it felt like when I had one 20 years ago.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Maybe too much coffee? I had two cups today but that's what I always have. Phew....it's starting to subside. It scares me. I hate to feel less than 100% when you have 2 little kids to care for, you know? I think I need to get my heart checked though. Thank you ladies. I feel a little better :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Thanks QuinnMae, My Dad had Afib & I wonder if it's what I have. I think it's stress related since I am on the same blood pressure medication for a while & my diet is the same. I will go get checked.
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2013