My 5 month old daughter has a fever.

My daughter has a fever of 101. Her cheeks are still cool just her forehead and head is hot. Should I be worried? I gave her a bit of tylenol to see if that would bring it down. She isn't cranky or abnormal - she ate a bit less today than other days.

WorkingMom2009

Asked by WorkingMom2009 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she pulling at her ears? Call your doc about what to do.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If its only 101 and you've already given her something for it, give it about an hour to take effect. If her temp goes higher than 102, then I'd get to the ER.

Generally, if you're going to take a child to the ER, its best not to give them anything before you take them. The ER nurses will give them something for the fever, but they like to take the temp and get an accurate temp without meds.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:22 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• if she's pulling at her ears and crying alot then I would be worried about an infection. but that's how my son acted when he was teething. he ate less because it hurt his gums and he had a low fever. but i would still talk to a doctor about it and if it gets too 102 or above i would most definitely go to the ER.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 8:55 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I concur that 102 signals danger. Otherwise, the body is doing what it needs to do. If you can get to a good drugstore that carries natural stuff or to a health food store, I highly recommend staying away from tylenol (read your labels) after this time and going with natural stuff to support the body in what it is trying to do. Dolisos Labs makes these little blue tubes with homepathic remedies for fevers and things, and you can choose one that is specific to your chid's symptoms (fever only, with thirst, cold w/runny nose, sudden onset, etc.) And there ARE NO SIDE EFFECTS. Herbs for Kids are tinctures in brown bottles with droppers that work great. Belladona works great for fever. One company has a white box with pink and blue and a little bear on it, and there are little individual clear tubes with liquid in them and you squirt it in there, and they were a lifesaver during teething,
    elizapark

Answer by elizapark at 9:19 PM on Feb. 17, 2009