Ideas for practicing site words for my soon to be 1st grader??

My son's worst subject in kindergarten was writing. He just shows no interest in it at all. His teacher told me he needs lots of practice this summer otherwise he will struggle in 1st grade. I need some FUN ideas on reading and writing site words, that doesn't consist of those boring worksheets. Or maybe I could get those worksheets and work out a reward system with him? Ideas please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• BOOKS! Read and point to the words. Read the same books all summer. Of course find books that he likes so he stays interested. Also I am always a champion for bribing when necessary. Sometimes you need a little incentive to get a kid to do what they need to.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I let mine pick the fruit and veggies for dinner if she spells out the letters on the cans. She also looks for words on signs when in the car.

And SleepingBeautee is right--on occasion, bribey is a perfectly acceptable form of negotiation in parenthood!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Reading is the number one way to encourage reading in your kids. Whatever you do make it fun and interesting so he does not get turned off.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Reading as pp said, and I don't know if you have a smart phone, but there are lots of free apps that my DD loves that deal with sight words and sounding out words.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• For reading, try the Candy Land Sight Word edition- http://firstgraderatlast.blogspot.com/2010/11/candy-land-sight-word-edition.html

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• books on a level1 reading level, they make sight word flash cards, those will really help b/c if his 1st grade teacher is like my dd's she will have a list of words and have the kid say them as soon as she points to it then moves on rather quickly. GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• collect those thin magnets that you get for local companies

print off the sight words and past to the magnets (cut fit)
    place them in frig
    and every day, make a simple sentence with them
    can also have the regular every day plastic magnets on the frig

daughter , same age, same issue with reading- she likes to read the sentences that are on the frig
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• the super easy books are very hard to find (even at local library)
    i gathered all the super easy ones and placed separate from all the ones she can not read by herself

she reads two at night before bed, then i read two easy ones, then i read the "harder" ones

make him point to each word as he reads (reading specialist at school said important) she gave us a fun "monster" green thing to place on her finger to make it more fun
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2013