I'm so relieved! (Not really a question.)

A friend of mine called me this morning, way beyond stressed out. Her husband had gone in for a heart catheterization to look for blockages last week. The technician who did the exam told the couple there were no blockages. Well, she got a statement from the doctor this morning, and not only did it say that there was a blockage, but it said her husband had suffered a heart attack and had an emergency procedure to open up one of the major blood vessels. She was freaking out, not knowing what the truth was or if her husband was in bad shape or not, and I said it didn't sound right that nobody had mentioned anything earlier. I told her to get hold of a patient rep. She just called me back, and after almost a whole working day on the phone trying to straighten out the mess, they figured out that there were two patients with the same name in the practice, and someone had gotten her husband's records mixed up with the other guy's. What a relief!

I had no idea this would happen anymore in the age of computers, but I guess there's still human error.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:57 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Health

• Yep. Unfortunately, it happens pretty often. Just recently happened to a friend of mine--only her diagnosis was cancer. They found out it was not her lab test that showed the cancer, but they still don't know whose did. So somebody is walking around with cancer and has no clue!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• That's horrible!! I understand it happens, but what an awful thing to hear!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• What a headache!!!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:06 PM on Jun. 6, 2013