Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

In the state of Indiana how long before????

I can file for abanondoment?? My Dds dad refuses to see or speak to her! Even after I sent a txt letting him now his dd had been crying off and no since 230 am!! All he is doing is sleeping and getting high off anything he can get hi hands on!!! ( yes I have proof of this). This isn't anything new and I refuse for my daughter to b hurt by him any longer so does anyone know how long he needs to be without contact for me to file abandonment charges?


Asked by rachel216 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 21 (11,479 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Explain all of this to a lawyer. It is free to talk to them about your situation and they can give you advice. Then go to child support office and have them garnish his wages automatically, otherwise he will never pay you unless it comes out of his paycheck by force. If he does not work, then the child support goes to the judge and the judge forces him to look for work every week. If he refuses then his driver's license may get suspended. If he still does not look for work then he goes to jail. That is how it is in California at least, I don't know why other states should have it different when it comes to children being supported. Talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by Nicollea at 2:34 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

  • Call a lawyer and ask them.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

  • Are you married to him? Why do you want to file for abandonment?  Why not divorce or CS?  Are you trying to take his parental rights away.


    Answer by louise2 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

  • Never married... We have a child support order in place and big shocker he doesn't pay... Yes I want to take his parental rights he obvsly doesn't care to begin with...

    Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

  • It has to be AT LEAST 6 months in all locations, and in many places 1-2 years with no contact of ANY kind including CS. You also need to either have someone willing to adopt or be able to prove you will not need any type of state aid to financially provide for the child.

    Answer by DDDaysh at 2:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2013