Anyone elses kids have to have a tot collar for torticollis?

My son is 9 months old and since he was 4 months old he has been going to physical therapy every week for torticollis. His isnt extreme in fact you can barely even notice it. it doesnt bother him what so ever. He can turn his head both ways perfect. the PT told me last week that she wanted to order him a tot collar. well im not sure i want him to have one, I dont feel his case is bad enough ...????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Doesn't matter what you "feel" about the severity of his case. The condition can worsen. She's trying to do what she can to treat and prevent a more complicated case. You can get a second opinion. That is up to you. Did you ask her the reason she wanted to do this?
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Get a second opinion if you don't trust the professional you are working with. However, cases can worsen as kids get older. A friend of mine's granddaughter delayed getting a collar because her baby's condition didn't seem that bad to her, and the kiddo ended up struggling with the problem till she was a preschooler. It also affected her eyesight because of the way she was positioning her head. Plus, believe it or not, her younger sister started imitating the awkward head positions and ended up with her own issues.

Also, any kind of conditions involving flexibility heal more quickly and easily in younger babies because their bones aren't set yet. It wasn't the neck, but my baby was born with a dislocated hip. She was in a brace for a few months, starting at four days old. The orthopedist told me if we had waited three more months to put the brace on, she would have worn it for over a year.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I would get it, if the doctor thinks it is the best way to go, on top of that ask for some at home exercises that you can do to help the muscles even more.
    Nicollea

Answer by Nicollea at 7:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2013