Safe Word

I hadn't thought of it, but Dardenella answered the brag on my daughter by saying that her kids had a safe word, and they weren't allowed to go with anybody who didn't know it. That sounds like a good idea to me; I think I'll start using it. Do you all do this? (Maybe I'm just the last one to think of it.)

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 10:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• They should not go with anyone except you without permission.
    One of my cubs had a cousin that was abducted when a neighbor that everyone trusted picked the girl up from dance practice.
    Everyone felt that it was ok because the child knew the woman and trusted her. Her own cousin was in the class with her an saw it and thought nothing about it. It did not end well.
    There are many stories similar and even with nonimmediate family members. I can be a bit anal about ths. lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• I think it's a good idea, although not something we've done. My kids have never been picked up by anyone other than me, or occasionally my husband.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• red wagon! blue dog! purple geeks!
    we change the word every school year
    it is always something really weird that does not come up in everyday conversation
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Yes. We have a family safe word.

Answer by missanc at 11:00 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• It's a good idea but I've never done it. I might begin when my youngest child re-enters traditional school in 2014 though.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Not a bad idea but they shouldn't go with any stranger in my opinion.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Teach them to ask "What's the password?"
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Obviously I used them. I also encouraged literally thousands of scout parents to use them
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2013

• Mine know that if anyone says that I told them to go with them that they had to ask them to call me and speak to them (child) to confirl if I hadn't said anything beforehand. This has never been necessary (so far) but they know to do it.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• My kids have always only been picked up by me or my parents. I do have a secret password that they would know to ask if, for example, one of my friends were to pick them up from somewhere, but that has never happened. They've also been told, though, that even with the password, it's highly unlikely anyone other than me would pick them up without me telling them first. My oldest is old enough now, too, that he'd look at the person and say, "Call my mom. I want to talk to her and know it's okay."
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2013