my 2yr old wont give up the binky, any sugetions?

She can't sleep without eat, and everytime she cries she can't get herself under control without it. What do i do? she is a very stubern child so just telling her no wont work

angels4262

Asked by angels4262 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Without her seeing, start cutting strips off one end....a little bit each day or so until it is gone. This should take around a month or more to keep her from noticing it disappearing.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:21 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• There are a zillion cutesy ideas that can help transition, if you think they would help her.

My favorite is to tell her she can trade her paci for a new toy, maybe a stuffed animal to sleep with. Then when she goes to the cash register she must "pay" for the stuffed animal with her paci's.

She will still probably cry but you have to stick to your guns, the more you give it back the harder it will be. It took my dd a few weeks to get use to it.

Also you can try giving a sippy cup of WATER that she can "suck" on to transition. this helped my dd. But make sure its water anything else will hurt their teeth
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:23 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• gosh i am having the same issues with my DS i wish he never had the damn thing in the first place my DD doesnt really care if she has it but she likes it in the early morning hours but could careless if she had it during the day
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• 2 year old loves her binky she wants it all day! I tried to take it and she cried for 2 hours striaght. She was crying so hard she couldn't breath. I think that I am going to let her keep it for a bit longer at night and nap time. I think that maybe when she gets a bit older and I can bargin with her then I will take it. Good Luck to you!
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• We JUST got my 2 yr old off his pappi this weekend, We said we were not buying anymore and after he lost it that was IT! So far he has been 4 days w/o it. He cried a lot at first and asked for it a lot, but now that it's day 4 he hasn't asked all day! My suggestion is to do the same. This also worked with my first child only he wasn't as difficult. If you can just stick with it and not give in, the withdrawal will be over before you know. I think it's harder on US to give it up than them because they seem to be SO addicted and cry so much over it. If you can get thru it so can your little one. Just DONT do it when something stressful is going on in your life. Such as, we waited until after our move to a new home to break him from it. Good Luck
    JenStricklin77

Answer by JenStricklin77 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• If she gets it during the day then I would cut that out right now ..I would allow it at night tho. You are going to have to go through a few days of crying ...but I promise if you stick with it ...she will stop. You just have to be consistent!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:58 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• eh, letting a toddler cry isn't always the worst thing in the world. its been a good teaching tool for my DD that she can't always have her way, especially by being fussy, which will only put her in the thinking chair.

i tried to reserve passy and blankie for sleep, so she would have a cue to go to bed. sometimes i just try to let her fall asleep w/out it, like if we're in the car. she isn't terribly clingy to it, and when she asks for it, its her way of telling me she's ready for nap-nap or night-night.

what's cute is when she picks up her blankie and pops in the passy, and i ask her "are you ready for sleep?" and she'll drop the blankie, pop out the passy and say "no".

make gradual adjustments, set solid boundaries, and remain consistent. i really like the idea of trimming the tips, timelessglass, think i might try it if she doesn't wean by 3yrs.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 12:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• chicken lol thats too funny, you say night night and she throws it out, ill try that thanks
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 1:31 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Just take it away and be done with it. In a couple of days of crying and carrying on, it's done and over.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2009