Would you baby-sit?

A friend of mine has asked me to have her granddaughter over at my house on Saturday. I feel like I should, since she helps me out from time to time, and her husband is having a lot of medical issues. She picked my daughter up for me today and had her over for a surprise play date.

But the thing is, the granddaughter isn't easy to look after. The last time she was here, she dragged out a ton of toys and even clean clothes for a fashion show and trashed my daughter's room and then didn't help pick up. She sneaked candy andPopsicles before dinner, then complained that there were mushrooms in the spaghetti, then told me she'd eaten everything but the mushrooms and actually left half her plate. But since she didn't tell me she left half the food, I didn't put it back in the fridge, and I found it out on the counter later and had to throw it away. She also told my daughter that two of our parakeets were "making babies"--which they may have been trying to do--but she's a few years older, and I didn't think it was appropriate for her to say that. Plus, the grandma doesn't usually come get her when she says she will, so I never know for sure when she'll be back.

So, would you baby-sit because you wanted to do your friend a favor, especially since she'd helped you out? Or would you hide under the bed like I'm considering?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I would help out. It sounds like the woman has a lot going on in her life, and as long as it wasn't a regular thing I would be okay with it. I'd also hide treats before she got there so she couldn't sneak any food, and only allow the girls to play in the living room where you can supervise. Talk with your daughter beforehand so she knows what you absolutely will not allow so this girl doesn't try to do stuff without you knowing.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I would pinpoint the grandmother down on a time that she will be there to pick her up -- tell her you are making plans for the evening -- I wouldn't let the little girl out of your site and before grandma comes to pick her up announce that it is time to clean up and supervise and make sure she helps clean up!
    hwatson1968

Answer by hwatson1968 at 5:47 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I'd suck it up and do it, but make your rules clear when she (the kid) gets there, and make her help clean up her messes
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:15 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Would I , yes. I would accommodate the menu if she was staying for a meal and make sure there was one thing she liked.  As to the messes she should help clean them up if she helped make them. Even if that means waiting until grandma gets there to supervise. If all this happens again, tell grandma that you are no longer able to baby-sit and tell her WHY. I wonder if she knew about these things in advance, would she take time to instruct the child how to behave. There have to be consequences for her behavior and since she is ion your home treat her as you would your daughter.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:31 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I think I'd do it. And try to prepare for it.

Would this be "having her over" in the sense of an actual playdate for the girls? If so, plan for a reasonable amount of time and propose your idea to your friend, so that this (a couple or a few hours of play together) is what actually happens. And have a general plan for how the girls can spend their time so that things are set up for success as much as possible.
    Or is it more that your friend wants you to keep her daughter for her on Saturday, so she will be over for a more extended period of time and not just a playdate?
    Either one can work, but if it's the latter situation you may want to figure out your personal limits & nail down the details with your friend so you know what to expect. If it isn't for something specific (keeping the grandchild during an appointment) but rather to give her a break, you could work out clear expectations (lunch but not dinner, etc.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:37 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I would do it. Just suck it up as someone said. Maybe go to the play place at McDonalds or something like that to get her out of the house.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:00 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• ** in. Hate this keyboard
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:32 AM on Jun. 7, 2013