Treating a sty on the eyelid?

I get them every so often, and I'm developing one now. I use hot compresses, but is there anything else I can do to speed up the healing process?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2013 in Health

• A hot compress with a black tea bag helps. And I also alternate with a cool compress. Also make sure to wash your hands often and don't touch your eye if you can help it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I have always had to go to the Dr. and get meds.
    I am no help at all, sorry.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:41 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• My 6yr old gets them often, if hot compresses didn't work he had to get them lanced at the Dr's
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Yes, you can use a product called Style Ointment, available at most drug stores, like CVS, Walgreens, Long's, etc. It's like neosporin for the eye. Use saline eye washes more often to keep your eyes clean. The eye wash kits usually come with a small cup that you place over your eye to let the saline solution get in and rinse it. Also wash your hands more frequently and avoid touching your eyes and face.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• How can I prevent styes?

If styes tend to recur, you probably need to practise better eyelid hygiene. That means regular lid scrubs to remove excess germs and cellular debris. Put a few drops of mild baby shampoo into a teacup of warm water and stir. Using a cotton wool ball, gently brush the soapy solution along the base of your eyelashes while keeping your lids closed. If you don't have time to mix up baby shampoo, scrub your closed lids with a soapy flannel in the shower.

Regardless of the technique, it is the mechanical rubbing that keeps the lids clear of cellular debris. It is always important that you avoid contact of the eyelid with cosmetics, dirty towels or contaminated hands.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Ballad, tea bags like Sleepingbeautee said. The OTC stuff is no good, just a waste of money!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• There are meds available at CVS, Rite Aid, etc. I would go that route. My oldest DS had one not that long ago and I used it on him, cleared it right up and he hasn't had one since.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 7, 2013