Rat Poison Laced Bread...Were these people just stupid to go ahead and eat it?

Twenty-five office employees were hospitalised on Tuesday after eating bread rolls scattered with rat poison. Staff thought they had been left a present when the box containing the bread appeared on the company's doorstep.

No one who consumed the rolls - which were covered in unusual red pellets - is currently in a critical condition, but all are in hospital as experts are unsure how long the rat poison will take before it kicks in. 

Staff were pleasantly surprised when they found the box containing the poisoned food outside the front door of their plastics business in Steinfeld bei Oldenburg, Lower Saxony on Tuesday morning - presuming it was a gift.

It was not until later that morning that the workers began to think twice about the rolls, realising that they probably should not have eaten them. They rang the emergency services who sent 150 staff down to the scene. 

A helicopter arrived to fly the remaining bread to a specialist laboratory in Berlin for testing. On Wednesday it emerged that the strange substance on the rolls was rat poison. What is unclear is just how dangerous it is to humans. 

Police said that they were still checking that there were not any other members of staff that had eaten the rolls and were not in hospital. 

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20130417-49199.html

hellokittykat

Asked by hellokittykat at 3:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Why would they eat some that a] they did not know where it came from and b} was covered in strange red pellets? I sure as hell wouldn't!
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:21 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I've worked places before where customers would send us gifts of food (I remember one Christmas, one RV dealer sent me a gorgeous Ghiradelli chocolate basket worth at least $50), but my rule has always kind of been - if it doesn't look like food, maybe you shouldn't eat it. Strange red pellets don't even SOUND like food to me. I would really like to know what these people were thinking.

I'm confused about their statement that they don't know how dangerous it is to humans - unless I'm mistaken, rat poison has been used to KILL people before, so I don't understand how they can not know how dangerous it is. Unless what they meant was they don't know if the people consumed enough to put them at risk?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:36 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I'm confused about their statement that they don't know how dangerous it is to humans - unless I'm mistaken, rat poison has been used to KILL people before, so I don't understand how they can not know how dangerous it is.

It's a tabloid translated to English, so a lot of the story has probably been embellished for drama - translate that to, reporter needs to fill space.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• "I'm confused about their statement that they don't know how dangerous it is to humans - unless I'm mistaken, rat poison has been used to KILL people before, so I don't understand how they can not know how dangerous it is. Unless what they meant was they don't know if the people consumed enough to put them at risk?"

Depends on the type of rat poison. If it's really just an anti-coagulant, it may not be lethal in such small doses to humans. Rat poisons also have delayed effects so that rats don't associate the poison with dying and they continue to eat it, so it's not that hard to get medical attention in time.
    As for eating the bread... I'm sorry, but it's idiotic to go ahead and eat something just dropped on your doorstep. If it's a gift, look for a card. Most well-intentioned people will want you to know why you're appreciated, so their present will have a card or other means to identify where it comes from.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Hello! We teach our children not to take food from strangers and to let us check their Halloween candy before they rip into it. Then a bunch of grown-ups eat bread left on a doorstep, covered in "strange red pellets" and with no identification? Hmmm.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Maybe whoever put it there was tired of those people always stealing food at work? I mean, I've worked with some people who make $80-100K+ salary, but if you mention free food or they see food laying out, they pig out as if it's their last meal.
    hellokittykat

Comment by hellokittykat (original poster) at 5:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2013