Flying with your dog

Can anyone help me please? I am wondering if I can fly with my large dog without putting her in cargo...because of her breed she can't go in cargo anyway during summer months....my husband is being transferred from Las Vegas to Houston and I don't know how to get my pets there....driving is not an option as I have a 4 yr old and an infant as well and that is just too much for me to deal with....anyone have personal experience flying in cabin or know an airline that will?? Thanks!

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 11:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I'd drive. If it means transporting my animals safely, then that's what I would do.. We also have 3 large dogs, I couldn't imagine putting them on a plane for any amount of time....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Unless your dog is a service dog they have to be put in cargo
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I drove from california to Oklahoma with a 5yr old and a 1 month old. We also had 4 cats and 2 dogs. I think its easier to drive especially if you stuff is being shipped there just go to a hotel when things get to rough its not that long of a drive. Well not to me XD. Keep in mind we did this with a uhaul and a minivan im perdy sure your not in that kind of predicament so it should be 100x easier for you. I was also breastfeeding at the time so anything is possible.
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 11:43 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Or you could woman up, get over it and drive anyways and plan ahead for taking several days of travel to allow time for you to pull over and feed the baby, or pull over and let the dog out for a walk every few hours, etc. Try positioning the crate in the back at an angle so the dog can see you as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• It really sounds like you need someone to help you with the drive. Maybe find a friend or family member willing to go with you.

Also, your vet can give you tranquilizers so your pets will sleep the duration. We've done this a few times when moving cross country with 2 cats.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I would figure out a way to drive them. How about your DH drives with the dogs & you fly with the kids.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I would be very surprised if you could manage to find an airline that will let a dog who isn't a service animal fly in the cabin.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Link

Based on the size restrictions of the carrier, you would not be allowed to take a large dog on a flight. 

You may be able to find a service that moves animals for you. A friend bought a horse in Colorado and had it shipped by truck to Atlanta. 

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I am also breast feeding....I can't even drive this dog across town to the vet without the screaming and howling...I also have a 17 yr old cat...my dh will be training in New Orleans for the whole summer so I'm basically on my own with this...I have an SUV but with two car seats and an 80 lb dog in a HUGE crate that howls is enough to drive u insane..thanks for the input ladies...guess I'm screwed lol!
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• See your vet and ask for something to make the dog sleep or to at least help relax it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2013