If you found out your son is a sex offender , would you disown him and completely cut him out of your life ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• No but my heart would be completely broken.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I don't really think the term "disown" works in this day and age, it implies I have this huge bank account and vast holdings that he would inherit upon my death.

This is SUCH a hard question because it puts your parenting skills into question. Like where did I go wrong as a mother for my child to think that whatever act he committed to become a sex offender is ever OK. Unless its a case of he's 18 and his girlfriend is 16 then no I wouldn't, but I think for rape or molestation I would have a very difficult time being around him. That is if I am not one of those poor delusional mothers who thinks her baby could do no wrong and everyone is lying. My sons are only 6 and 1 so I can't even imagine..
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• No, because that is not taking responsibility. As a parent, you need to make sure their behavior has been corrected longterm. I would be on his butt making his life a nightmare until it's clear he's made amends and has reformed.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Well....if I "found out", that would imply to me that he already is out of my life to some degree.

If my son was convicted of a sex crime and became a sex offender, I don't think I would completely cut him out, but it would depend on what exactly he'd done. It would also depend one whether or not I believed he was innocent. We know that countless innocent people do get convicted, so I wouldn't just believe he was guilty because a judge or jury said so. I would look at the evidence myself, and what my son tells me and decide for myself whether I really believe he did it. It would also depend on, if he did do it, if he showed any remorse or if he seemed to not care or even be proud. All of those things would be factors for me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• What is the case presented? He is 18 and had sex with a 16 year old? Of course not. He is a molesting children? I would most likely be sure that he never was around any children again, there is no cure for this, most of the time it gets worse. I don't think I could have too much to do with him.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I don't think I would ever cut my kids out of my life. I wouldn't enable him, but I could never disown my kids. They are an extention of me.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• No. I would want to know what happened though.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• No I wouldn't. I wouldn't let him live in my house though.

Answer by louise2 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I'd probably give him a beating.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I'm with 222 up there.
    child molester? Rapist? He's dead to me
    Had sex with someone who was under the age of consent and he was 18/19? Not a problem

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2013