Midlife Babies?

I just have a question for people who were teenagers when their youngest siblings were born.

I have a friend of mine who was seventeen when her younger brother was born and she barely even knows him. I understand that she left home and went to college not long after he was born, but still. She was jealous of her brother and acted like he was an intrusion on her life.

I was fourteen when my younger half-sister was born and I spoiled her absolutely rotten. I bought her toys all the time, I played with her, when I got my license, I took her just about everywhere with me. My other siblings loved her too but I was the one that was home with her the longest. She got jealous when my first child was born because I she would no longer be my baby. She and my daughter grew up like sisters because, even though I moved out, I still spent a lot of time with her. She's nine now and I still spoil the hell out of her. Maybe it was because I have older siblings and I'm more used to sharing the space than my friend.

I just wondered if I was the minority on this or if most people are very close to siblings born when they are in their teens.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• My sister was born when I was 12- I barely remember any of her childhood. I was too "Busy" with my teenage years to care.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• The closest siblings I've known were about a decade apart. The ones who hated each other the most were closest in age.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• It depends on how you were raised really. Spoiled brat teenagers would tend to see a new sibling as a nuisance since the attention is being diverted away from them. Those that learned the value of family earlier on probably had more respect for their parents and opted to help out more with the new sibling and appreciated the new sibling more.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I helped out with her a lot and baby sat. When I was in high school, I took her to a football game and everyone thought she was mine.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• everyone thought she was mine.

DD14 is a smart ass and comments like that, asking if baby is hers, are the only things that make her shut up
    she is so appalled all she can say is, "I'm 14, no he's not mine".
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• My moms sister is 11 years older than her. They were close when younger (my mom remembers going on her sister's dates with her!), but they've grown apart over the years. They are close but not as close as I am to my brothers who are close in age.

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I have a friend who was an only child until she was 22 and her parents had twins! I can't imagine lol. She had already been out of the house for a few years when they were born so she never lived with them, but because they still live in the same city she gets to see them grow up. I don't think she's ever had a jealousy issue though.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Well, 22 doesn't usually come with jealousy issues with a baby. Usually it's the teens who feel that the child in invading their space or something.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• My best friend had a baby brother when she was 15. That little boy went everywhere we went. He was our shadow, and we loved him to pieces. When he died last year at a very young age of liver cancer, I went home to his funeral and his sister and I shared many memories of his growing up years. We were farm girls, and we knew and appreciated the value of family, and his birth was a source of great excitement for us. I think it has to do with the fundamentals of life that have been laid. If that has been one of selfishness, then a new baby will be seen as an intrusion. If it's one of sharing, then the baby will be just another family member. We were taught sharing--one for all and all for one, and he was a great blessing to our lives. We were all just brothers and sisters.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• My stepson was twelve and my stepdaughter was sixteen when my daughter was born. They adore her, especially the stepson, who buys her toys, takes her places, plays with her, and loves the fact that she worships the ground he walks on.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2013