Son turning 6- time to change to booster/seatbelt? (We have Nautilus)

My son is about to turn 6 and pushing for me to remove the 5 pt harness and use a 'big kid' seatbelt... Is this a good or bad idea? I know the 5 pt harness is safest but wonder if it is okay to make the switch and still use the booster with the regular seatbelt...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• I have the same car seat. My Son will stay in the 5 point harness until he is too big for it. It's good up to 65 lbs. He's 6 too. Why is it not cool? I'd say "too bad".
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• may want to make sure your state doesn't have any laws regarding this...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I switched mine out if the 5 pt harness when they started kindergarten. Of course that was 6 years ago before the big push to keep kids in car seats as long as possible.

Answer by missanc at 2:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• My 6yrold is in a booster, but if my last car seat had been able to hold him up to 65lbs I would have kept him in it longer. After he out grew his 5pt harness I just went for the booster.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• What is his weight? Keep him harnessed til 65 lbs in that seat. Sorry kid, you have the rest of your life to be a big kid and it's really not all that fun!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• my daughter is 7 and 62.5 pounds. she knows she'll be 65 pounds before she moves up.... you paid good $$ for a safe seat. use it!!!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• My 4 year old is in a booster seat. She's too tall for the straps in the 5pt harness and I can't spend over $100 for another 5pt harness that she can actually fit in an then turn around and buy a booster seat when she gets too big for that one. As long a whatever seat you have complies with the laws in your state and the height and weight limit do whatever you feel is right.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 3:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• My 7 year old is still in a 5 point, and he's totally fine with it. I have a Britax Frontier 85 that will harness up to 85, if we want to. A while back, I let him ride in it as a booster, and he said he didn't feel as comfortable with it. I'm glad because now he's wanting to stay in the 5 point as long as possible. The roads here are really dangerous anyway, and I want the kids as safe as possible.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I would totally laugh at a 8 year in a five point harness that's ridiculous, my 8 year old is almost as tall as I am.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 4:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Holly- what seat do you have? (And look into combination boosters with 5 pt harnesses that turn into booster seats after a certain weight, like the harmony 360 defender $99 dollars would be the last one you buy)

I am asking what seat you have to make sure the straps aren't adjustable to higher- some have buttons that move up and some re thread.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2013