Would you care about advertising on the background wallpaper if

1) it was not a seizure inducing, eye watering color like bright yellow

2) it doesn't make the site unusable by being poorly coded and/or incompatible with mobile devices

(figure since they're reading, might as well ask - I personally wouldn't care as long as they'd quit hiring some 8th grade coder to do it)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2013 in About CafeMom

• I'd probably be okay with it but, I have yet to see any of that happen.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I'm not crazy about it. Every time I click a post that takes me to the Smarter Living group, I find it very distracting.

But I am very sick of this baby blue.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• That was not a nice thing to say. Not for the person who does the ads or for an 8th grader with interests in online marketing and coding.

That said I do not like the ads that play noise or video or rollover. When viewed on a mobile device they take up my screen and force me off cafemom.

My finance has epilepsy and while bright flashing colors are not a trigger for his seizures there may be others who are triggered by that and no marketing campaign should use that technique. Though I have never seen an ad like that here.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Fiance. Autocorrect. I will go back to the admin thread and suggest the edit button. Perfect example.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• No. The only way to sell me on anything is to flash it in my face as loudly as possible and have it get in the way of anything else I'm trying to do. (Said nobody, ever.)
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Advertising is what makes the site free to us, so if it were unobtrusive as described, I guess it would be fine. I only get exasperated by the ads if they interfere with the loading of pages or make my screen reading software jump all over the place.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I don't care as long as they aren't videos that play automatically or make everything else a pain in the ass to read.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• i hope whoever picked the yellow ad color was fired...idiot.

it would be fine with me so long as its a silent ad too. but then i have a good ad blocker so i rarely ever see em.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• as long as it doesn't make the site unusable by being poorly coded and/or incompatible with mobile devices

I don't care as long as they aren't videos that play automatically or make everything else a pain in the ass to read.

i hope whoever picked the yellow ad color was fired...idiot.

^^^^^ all that I have copied & pasted above!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2013