My dd is growing up :(

So I believe I posted about how my youngest dd stopped sucking her thumb on her own. She just told me im not going to suck my thumb any more and that was it. Well now she doesn't want her blanket anymore. She starts kindergarten this coming year and I'm so sad she's growing up and making these big girl choices by herself. I mean she couldn't sleep with out this stupid blanket for almost 5 years. Now she just doesn't care what i do with it... so I can't throw it away and I slept with it last night. Lol she's my last child and I'm having a really hard time with her growing up.

Does every mother struggle with this? I didn't feel this with my oldest (I was proud of her learning, growing, starting school ect.) just my youngest maybe because she's my last?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 3:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think it is hard in different ways for different kids. Your youngest is always the toughest because it is your last one. I know I am so proud of DS when he learns something new but it also makes me sad because it shows how fast he is growing up.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:33 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Awwww, what a big girl!

My 3 yr old threw away all her pacis on her own yestersday. Yes, she was addicted, they were her nightime security blanket. And, I'm so proud of her.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I've got an unending tug-of-war in me all the time between longing for the things of the past and looking forward to what my daughter will learn next. I mis the little baby way she used to pronounce a lot of words but am amazed at the new vocabulary she takes on every day. She'll start kindergarten in the fall, too, and I'm excited but also a little sad to leave the preschool years behind. Maybe it's because she might be my only. We're going to try one more time, but I've lost so many that having another baby will feel tenuous till I'm actually holding one in my arms.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Certain things will set me off. I will be an emotional wreck when Kyle stops needing Hoppie every night, his favorite penguin. Already, Hoppie stays in his bed. He used to come out and join the family and do silly things, and now Kyle just needs him on the other pillow at night. I realize he's just a stuffed animal, but I actually feel bad for Hoppie.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Frame the blankie little mama
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I will be devastated when DD stops wanting "Silkie blankie" around. She's almost four and at this point, I can only hope that she will ask me to sew it inside a pillowcase when she gets ready for college. lol.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I can totally relate. My baby is 7 and every time he starts doing something new or stops an old habit I get a pang.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• group hug Yep, I'm dealing with that too.  My youngest is 11 & will be in the 6th grade in the fall. And she will need my help w/ shaving her armpits for the 1st time this weekend.  I was like you on her 1st day of Kindergarten & this is whole new territory to deal with. :/ 

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2013