IEP question...

My youngest son has an IEP for speech therapy and has been in preschool. Now he is moving school and going to kindergarten. His original IEP was done in November... my question is will they do a new IEP at the beginning of the school year or wait until November. Their school starts at the end of July so if they wait until November, that is basically half of the year without a new IEP.

Any insight?

PS... so, so, so happy I can ask this in an appropriate section. YAY for the new Special Needs category!

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 3:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2013 in Special Needs

• I believe the next meeting will take place around the time the new one is set to expire unless there is a reason to make a change.
    You can formally ask them to review/modify it sooner and I think they have 45 days to schedule a meeting.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• when mine was in preschool (3yrs)
    and ready to go to first year of kindergarten
    the IEP team contacted the special ed teacher at the kindergarten, and she made visits to the preschool to see my child

the IEP will carry over, and if they need to made adjustments they (the IEP team) will
    I would not worry about it
    it it much more of a change for you and your child then the special ed teachers and therapists

will NOT be without an IEP, will have the same one from preschool
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• if they don't hold one at the beginning, you can always request it. With my boys they do it at the beginning of the year so everything will be in place.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• That's odd that they didn't do one this spring. Was the last one geared towards the 2012-2013 school year,and/or did they discuss the 2013/2014 school year?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• They're usually done on an annual schedule. On the last report you received., there should have been a date for the next meeting. Mine has gone from grade to grade and from school to school (elementary to middle) with regular meetings and updates of the IEP in March.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• The problem is that the school we are moving to is not in the regular school district. It is a charter school outside of the local district, so there is no communication between the schools. I will ask when school starts.

Thanks Ladies you have been great!
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• If it's a charter school you will need to ask lots of questions and monitor VERY carefully. Unfortunately a lot of charter schools don't live up to their promise. During our high school registration in March, the math teachers were telling charter school parents that they've seen the local charter school kids need to go into lower level math classes because they just weren't getting the background they needed in the charter school.

You might make some calls now; a lot of administrative personnel are still "on the clock" right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• As the others said already they are generally held on an annual basis but you have the right to request one when ever you want during the year. My DS has his annual every May but if he starts a new school next year as we suspect I will walk in on the first day and request a full IEP meeting to get to know the team and go over everything again with them. They have *I think* 10 days to reply to your request here.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• We have been with this charter school for six years and know they do a good job with IEPs. My nephew has one and they have done a good job with him. And this school is very concerned with keeping their charter, so they are pretty strict with following policy.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• They should do a new IEP at the beginning of the year. It may be a month or so before they schedule the meeting with you though.

My daughter has an IEP for speech therapy that started with her in kindergarten. I know it was near the beginning of the year that I had to sit down with them to hatch out the plan for her kindergarten year. They wound up changing her from a 1-on-1 session to a small group thing; 3 kids or so.

You can always ask the teacher when they'll renew the IEP. My daughter's teacher was fabulous about answering my questions when I had them.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2013