Has anyone tried Metadate CD with their child?

My middle child was recently prescribed this seemingly rare medication to help him focus and maybe drop a few pounds if we are lucky. Has anyone else tried this medication, and if yes, how has your child reacted?

2autisticsmom

Asked by 2autisticsmom at 5:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2013 in Special Needs

• My son has tried it. He started on a low dose and moved up to almost the max dose before I told them I wanted to try something else. I didn't see any bad side effects on my son, but it just didn't help him focus that well and he still bounced off the walls along with losing his appetite. A lot of the ADHD meds will keep people from gaining weight . He has done trial and error on most of the ADHD/ADD meds. He takes vyvance and intuniv together right now and those are working for him. I wish you luck with this process as some people have to try many different meds and doses until they find something to work well for them. Once I saw my son finally feeling like he fit in with other kids, getting better grades because he could focus, and making friends easier I knew that I did the right thing with him by trying the different meds until one worked. Good luck.
    Lauren.texas

Answer by Lauren.texas at 7:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• No but my son(8) was recently put on Tennex, a blood pressure medication for focus and to 'take the edge off' as the phych. put it. Unfortunately it seems to be causing him to gain a few pound. :0( We are working on it though. This is his first time on medication and we chose to try the non-stimulant route first. So far so good. It seems to have helped quite a bit!! I have heard there can be a lot of trial and error with medications, I guess we have been lucky. I hope you have the same good luck!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• My dd was almost put on it, but we went with Vyvance instead. The Vyvance is working very well so far and lasts the longest out of what we've tried with her.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• He does ok with it, but could be doing better. I wondered if he just needs to adjust to it or if maybe he needs a higher dosage. We always start low since he seems hypersensitive to medications in general.

2autisticsmom

Comment by 2autisticsmom (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• We tried Vyvanse and it put him in the hospital because the side effects were that bad. It's fine if he loses his appetite because he gained 18 pounds in two months. I'd like to see some weight loss. He is on Risperdal because it does work, but it is partially responsible for that 18 pounds. I feel we've tried about everything out there to no avail. LOL My problem with Metadate is driving 15 miles out of my way to get it. Trying to get my local Walgreens to order it so I can save the trip.
    2autisticsmom

Comment by 2autisticsmom (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• My son was on this for 7 years. It did help him with his concentration and getting his work done. As he got older we did have to increase his dosage because he got taller/heavier but were not at the highest dose. Had no trouble getting it at our local CVS. He stopped taking it in the fall and seems to be ok without it. (His doctor said we could try and see since he's getting older) We did take him off it in the summer but did keep him on it during week vacations/weekends. Of course now that he'll be driving soon have to see if he'll need it again.grade wise he's doing good.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2013