Do you drink alcohol every day?

Would you consider someone who does, to be an alcoholic?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2013 in Relationships

• Someone who drinks every day is an alcoholic. It doesn't matter what they think about it - it's entirely about the body's physiological response to it. If you drink every day, you are in a constant cycle of withdrawal any time you're not at a minimum level of alcohol to which your body is accustomed. In that withdrawal state, you are actually more moody, irritable and not-quite-there than when you've had your drink for the day - there won't be any DT's or seizures, but the reaction to that drink or two a night wearing off will be just as real. It's why there's not really any such thing as a "functioning alcoholic".

And no, I don't - I'm more conscious of it from growing up around it, so for me it's primarily ceremonial, with the occasional weekend evening.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I would consider them an alcoholic if they felt the *needed* to have a drink every night. When it becomes an addiction, no matter how much they are drinking, it is then alcoholism. It is the mind frame not the amount.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• No, and no. It's more about the frame of mind than the alcohol itself.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• No, I don't drink ever. Although I don't want to be around people who are drinking, I don't think one drink a day would make someone an alcoholic. My father is an alcoholic. An alcoholic *can't* get through the day without drinking.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Not every day (as I take a sip of a Mikes Hard Cranberry Lemonade). I think One Beer/Wine/Mikes a day doesn't mean a person is an alcoholic, but if a person is getting Drunk every day then yes. To me, having one or two low level(5%) alcohols at dinner is no different than a person who downs soda all day.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I would consider that a problem, but again it would depend on their needing it. That would be a slippery slope. I might think they have an addiction at that point.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I think the fact that she is making excuses is what would make me think it's addiction. Obviously, if it doesn't count then there is no reason to stop. I think there is a high probability that she is an alcoholic.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• No í don't. Not even as often as I would like to. I went to make a Bloody Mary two nights ago and figured out that I didn't have any vodka. Just gin, rum, whiskey and wine. Oh well. I'm hoping to make a Bloody Mary tonight or tomorrow. If I don't its not a big deal.

Now, would I consider a drink a day to qualify one as an alcoholic? I guess that would depend in how much one actually feels they NEED that drink a day. So I guess not necessarily. If they need it then I would think it was an addiction.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I grew up with alcoholic parents so I have issues with drinking. I drink maybe a couple times a year. I know if dh started drinking every night, even if it was only one, I'd freak out. I don't necessarily think that's one drink a night = alcoholic, but I've seen the slippery slope so that would scare me.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 6:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• No, I don't drink every day. I have a drink once a month or once every other month at most. I'm just not a big drinker.

Do I think someone who drinks everyday is an alcoholic? It depends. One drink a day? No. A few drinks a day, but has no problem missing a day, or several days or even weeks? No. One drink every day and has problems if they don't have that one drink? Maybe. A few every day and "needs" it or isn't willing to give it up? Probably.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2013