She just miscarried...how likely is it that she will conceive this quickly?

A friend of mine just miscarried at 12 weeks. She miscarried last week and she and her husband had unprotected sex last night...she was battling with one side that wanted to try and her other side that realized what a bad idea that was.

So, how likely is it that she'd conceive a week after a miscarriage? She's going to talk to a doctor tomorrow but I guess I'm the only person she told and I'm not sure what the answer is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Highly unlikely. Why would she even be having sex a week after a 12 week miscarriage? Wouldn't she have had a DNC with Dr's orders to wait a few weeks for sex?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Depending on her cycle she is very likely though it is very unwise not to let the body recover.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• So she's still bleeding,and is having sex? Most likely she'll get an infection before she gets pregnant. A woman is very fertile after carrying a child

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Her situation was a little different...she didn't have or require a DNC.

She called me one morning saying she was going in because she was having blood tinged mucus-like discharge and the ER told her it was a bladder infection and gave her an antibiotic.

That night she calls and says she's passing clots and I told her to go to the ER and she refused because a nurse there had said "if you're going to miscarry there's nothing we can do" and I think she was in denial.

5 days later she was still bleeding lightly and she went in and they did an u/s and her uterus was empty. She saw and OB the next day that checked her and her uterus was completely closed and she was only spotting a bit.

I don't know why she had sex like that...she's not proud of herself, that's why she only told me. I don't know what to do for her. I am very worried.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• She has to release a egg again. Her body most likley wont fall back into its normal cycle that quick you may be very fertile but like i said I doubt it. It took me 4+ months after miscarrying to conceive again and that was with us trying.
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 7:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• highly unlikely, but not impossible as one of my friends was conceived before her mom even had a normal period.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Unlikely, especially with the irregularity that often comes after a miscarriage. Hopefully she got the bug out of her system and will wait a few months before trying that again, since getting pregnant in the first weeks after a miscarriage is risky to the healthy start of the next pregnancy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Zero
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I would highly doubt she can get pregnant. I miscarried twice. My doctor monitored my hcg level until it reached zero both times. The first one, it took three months (long story), the second it took four weeks. Just because the baby is gone, the hormones remain and the body has to readjust. I conceived after one cycle both times, but it varies person to person. Your friend is going to go through a range of emotions...try to just listen and be there for her.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 8:33 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I should note I that I didn't have to have a D&C either time, although I probably needed one after the first. My doctor was a tool. =)
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 8:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2013