Just started the ABA in home intense therapy. Would like to hear your experiences with it...the good the bad and the in between, any suggestions for a parent just starting this journey...thanks

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 7:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2013 in Special Needs

• My daughter is five, six in two months
    Is moderate to mild, with speech

Have a head therapist who is training three line therapists
    One of three, ready to be on her own next week
    Other two just met yesterday, both are in college going for related degrees

We will have 30 hours, as soon as all staff trained

How has it been for you
    Suggestions?

Thanks
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Wish I had some experiences to share. I'm having a hard time obtaining ABA. We are supposed to be starting up here too. The worst part so far is hearing that most of what I have been doing is wrong. Don't know who they are going to start with them or me.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Sorry - no experience with it here. We did TEACCH method and then RDI (my favorite and the one that my son saw the most progress with(

Answer by missanc at 7:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I'm having a hard time obtaining ABA.
    Answer by 2autisticsmom

i first started the paperwork when daughter turned three
    she will be six in July, and ABA JUST started
    only suggestion i have for getting through paperwork is
    when they deny you, send back the intent to appeal with certified mail.... makes yours NOT go into a pile, has to be signed for
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• it's not the paperwork we have issues with. It's finding a provider who actually bothers to show up. ABA won't work if it's not consistent or in our case non-existent. Our first provider decided he'd rather teach at a university, the second one is on maternity leave, the third one can't work afternoons, and the new one hasn't officially done anything except observe and tell me I'm doing it wrong. **SIGH**
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I will have nothing to share for 6 more month... :0( Then we can compare stories!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• I have custody of my 3 year grandson who is autistic . He was diagnosed when he was 2. I live in Minnesota and have him in ABA with the Minnesota Autism center. I love them. They come to my house 5 days a week., 8 hours a day ( two, 4 hour shifts) with teachers one on one. Bradley only said hi seldom made eye contact and didn't hug or kiss. He now is saying about 100 words hugging blowing kisses and making eye contact. . The improvement is more then i could ask for. They have done so much for him . They also give us family skills to help us with his ups and downs. I would highly recommend ABA.
    susan9154

Answer by susan9154 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2013