My Mother-in-Law Actually Said This To My Husband...

My husband and I are expecting our first child together. We are hoping for a boy, because we have three girls collectively. My MIL is just over the moon about this (it will be her sixth grandchild). My husband was asking her if she wanted a grandson or a granddaughter and she said she didn't care as long as it was healthy and happy. "And I hope he looks like Sophie..." (I'm Sophie, BTW). My husband gave her a funny look and she suddenly realized what she said. "I'm mean, the hair. I hope he has red hair. Well, you know I love red headed kids! It's not because you're ugly. I mean I don't think you're ugly. I mean, you're very handsome..........I'm sorry son.....I love you!"

Now my husband has insecurity issues.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2013 in Pregnancy

• LOL I think it's very sweet she wants her next grandbaby to have your hair. She simply misspoke.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Bahahahaha! I just love hearing stories of other MILs that have the foot in mouth syndrome. Makes me feel not so bad about mine.

He will get over it. Just reassure him that you find him completely attractive and love him soooo much.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Unless there is a history of remarks like this, I don't think he should feel insulted or insecure. I was hoping my daughter's kids got her fiances red hair. The problem with that is she has told me she does not plan on ever having kids, so no (red headed) grand kids for me.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 8:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• LOL! What ^^^ they said :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• hahah wow why would she say that
    Ms_Fabulous

Answer by Ms_Fabulous at 8:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• Take it in the spirit with which it was intended. It just fell out wrong. Tell your husband to lighten up.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• He's just teasing her. He knows she didn't mean it. He told her later "Yeah, well grandma always said I looked like you so thing about that mom!"
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• LOL, that's funny.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:51 PM on Jun. 7, 2013

• hahahaa!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• he took it the wrong way. your mil thinks you're beautiful and hopes the baby looks like you. that's sweet :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 8, 2013