Daughters first gyn appt? adult content

I'm taking my 15 yr old to the gyn on Monday to get birth control and I suggested her bf go with her. My thinking is that both teens should go and get the info from the dr. Has anyone else done this or do you think I should just take my dd by herself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 AM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Bf as in best friend or as in boyfriend?

I think it's a bad idea if it's a boyfriend because I don't thin tht a 15 yo wants to discuss her body in front of any guy her age (does she really want to talk about periods? Cycles? Ovaries? in front of him). She's more likely to just up and leave and ask nothing. Also, sending both together would be a clear message that you approve them having sex. His mother may not agree...

If it's a bf as in best friend then I would definitely run the idea past her mother first.

My personal opinion is that both the above options can wait. I think it's important for her to go to this with her mother for the first time. She needs to know that you're there for her and that she can talk to you about.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:28 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Do you recall how awkward and uncomfortable you feel when you go to the gyno? Feet in the stirrups, someone between your legs, groping around. Now imagine this is the first time this is ever happening to you. Do you *really* want your boyfriend there for that? And if he's there, do you really think she's going to be honest and say what's on her mind - whether it's about her period or a question about birth control.

She needs to go with just you. For her own comfort and to ensure she really gets the benefit out of this visit.

Not to mention, as the mother of a son, I would be so pissed off if his girlfriend's mother decided to send him with his girlfriend to an appoint where she gets naked and sex and birth control is discussed. I would be so pissed off that I would seriously consider a restraining order against you. Really bad idea.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:15 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• i dont think its appropriate for a 15 year old's boyfriend to tag along to her gyn appointment with her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I agree with the previous posters, I'd go with her but not take the boyfriend. When my 16 year old went on birth control it was just me and her and the gyn and I don't think she'd have been comfortable with her boyfriend being there. I know some girls that don't even want their mom in the room with them but it was my daughters decision to have me with her.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• No, not a good idea. Her appointment is for an exam. If you want the OBGYN Dr. to speak to them about sex then you have to make a separate appointment for a consult visit & pay for two separate visits (co-pays whatever).

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• BF=boyfriend

BFF=best friend, at least that is what I think they mean.

Personally, I do not think it is your job/responsibility to educate the BF, of sex ED type stuff.

I would only bring  the DD.

Answer by louise2 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• If you mean boyfriend I think this is a really terribly idea.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:37 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• NO NO NO don't send the boyfriend with her - the first time I went to a gyno I didn't even want to talk about my body to HER - there is now way I would have said anything in front of a boyfriend!
    stace101

Answer by stace101 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Don't do it. Your DD is going to be uncomfortable enough without having her bf there as well. You take her only.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Wanted to add that when we went the dr asked dd alot of personal questions relating to her sexual activity and I think that she was a little embarassed that I was even in the room with her. I think it could be too embarrassing with dd, mom and the bf all there.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 8, 2013