How do I know if I am leaking amniotic fluid?

Well I have been feeling very wet down there lately and it is not pee. Doesnt smell like pee or anything. And I have had a lots of globs of mucus like stuff. I have had a few contractions. Nothing very strong but I still know I have them.
Ok so how do I know if I am leaking? And is this preterm labor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Feb. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Usually it will become apparent because it soaks a pad after several minutes.

How far along are you ~and are you dehydrated?

If you are continuing to leak the be sure not to put anything inside (NO tampons, no intercourse, no cervix checks).

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Well some pee doesn't really smell, so the only real way to tell is to put a pad on and see if you are leaking through more than a pad an hr. If that doesn't help then you can go and get a swab at the dr's office, or the hospital. They will be able to tell you for sure if it is fluid and not pee. I know a few times in the past I thought I was leaking with my first, and I went in.... I peed myself LOL. Needless to say better to go in and get yourself checked than wait too long.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 8:40 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have what you described happen to me and I am not pregnant. My doctor tells me I am just "wetter than average". Sorry if that was TMI
    forRobyn

Answer by forRobyn at 8:54 PM on Feb. 17, 2009