Have you done this?

Do you or have you let your teen go over to a friends house when her parent or parents are not home? School is out in our area. My 15 yo dd went over to a friends house yesterday in between 2 sports activities for an hour. I knew the Mom wouldn't be there and know the girl and parents. They made cupcakes. The girl called her mom and she said it was perfectly fine. I wouldn't let her go over to someones house if their was an unchaperoned party or several girls at a home left alone for awhile but I thought this was fine. I still feel a little unsettled about it though but maybe I am being too controlling/paranoid? I just feel I have opened up something here as to would I let her stay for 'several hours' (meaning I did it since it was such a short time). Have you done this for a longer time then I should say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• She is 15, it was for an hour and both you and the other girls mom knew and know each other. Sounds ok to me.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I've allowed this before for both my 16 and 13 year olds but it depends on where they are and who they are with.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• In the situation you are talking about it sounds fine. It was only for an hour, the girls are 15 and you know the parents and the other kid. If you didn't know the parents or the kid, if there were going to be a bunch of people there or if it was for most of the day, then I wouldn't allow it. It also depends on your kids maturity.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:20 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I allow my DD to go to her BFF's house when the mom isn't there. They are really good girls. I think the worst they've come up with was giving the dog a bath. They usually bake or take BFF's dogs for a walk. If it's icky out they curl up and watch movies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:47 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Sounds fine to me. Teens have to be trusted and given a bit of freedom eventually so they learn how to handle it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• At 15 she should be responsible enough to be in charge of someone else's children for several hours. Doesn't she babysit?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I really don't see a problem with this at all for a 15 yo.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:01 PM on Jun. 8, 2013