Dating a family member

Could you date someone that is technically your cousin,(Uncle adopted a boy when he was 10)? Is this creepy or not? I joked that the wedding guest list would be pretty short :P

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Relationships

• Family is family to me. Whether they're related to me by birth, marriage or adoption, if they're related to me, they're family and therefore off limits. In fact, I wouldn't even date someone who had once been family. No ex-spouses of siblings or cousins, no kids belonging to an ex-aunt or uncle (that they had with someone outside my family), none of that. Even it didn't just plain seem icky to me, I don't need or want all the drama that would come with it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:25 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Well he is only family threw adoption, right? Not blood? In a way it is not right. But he is not blood so it is ok? It would be like step kids marrying. Not right to do, but they are not blood so, it is ok.

Answer by louise2 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• No
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:38 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• No, that's creepy.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• No way, he was adopted at 10 not 30! That's family!! I consider my uncles step children as my cousins and wouldn't even go there either!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Nope, it just seems wrong.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• No, though I did briefly get to tell people my cousin was dating my cousin (one from dad's side and one from mom's side, still awkward).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:19 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• No. too weird. Once someone is considered family (blood relation or not) they are off limits.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:41 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Technically okay, I guess, but too much potential drama for me. People tend to take sides when a relationship doesn't work out, whether the couple wants them to or not, and that could get ugly.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I couldn't do it. But then again, it would also depend on how close we were as family. If we had been raised together, then definitely not. But if I didn't really ever know him beyond knowing he was _____'s kid, then MAYBE. It's a huge gray area to me if that's the case.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 8, 2013