How old are your children? Were you surprised you had a SN child? What are their needs?

Thor was born 17 years ago. We had all the testing because I am epileptic and was medication dependent. All came back negative. In utero Thor had a lower than normal heartrate,this did not raise concern because one of my meds was pheonbarbitol. I was induced at 35 weeks due to seizures. Labor/delivery went well and fast for a 1st baby,less than 7 hours. Thor was born blue,my OB at 1st thought he was stillborn but then a small peep. He was born with Tetrology of Fallot(4 defects of his heart). He had a cardiac cath at 6 weeks,multiple strokes followed. He is severly brain damaged,non verbal,CP affecting rt side, seizures,Reynaulds Syndrome. He had open heart surgery at 15 months,all went well. Tell me your story!!!!!

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 9:56 AM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Special Needs

• mine is simpler

daughter, 5
    high risk pregnancy, 15 weeks placenta previa, told baby would not make it- they were wrong
    c section month early planned, as i could not go into labor safely
    she was gaining weight in hospital
    had 4 shots at 18 months, had big reaction to these, lost many functioning after this

birth to three therapies
    autism dx at three

she has come a long long way
    JUST got ABA a few weeks ago (started this paperwork to get these services when she was 3, she is 6 in two months)

changed her diet (feingold elimination diet) her autism went from severe at times to moderate, and i think (a mom's hope) that if she was tested again she might be mild on the scale
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My son has moderate autism
    We had no idea that anything was wrong until he started on the baby food with chunks in it. He'd choke and vomit everytime I gave it to him. We chalked it up to his not having any teeth yet. He hit all his milestones up to a year,and then we started noticing that he'd start having tantrums if the lights were too bright,if the room was filled with noisy people,but we figured hey,he's just a sensitive child. At his 1 year appointment,the doc asked us how many words he had,did he point at things to get our attention. he only had 5 words,and no pointing. Worst advice ever,she told us to wait and see. We weren't able to get him in for an evaluation until he was 4. When that lady told me that she suspected autism,I cried like a baby all the way home,and for about a week afterwards. They got him into an Early Childhood class a month later,and he's made great strides ever since

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My children are 15,12,10, and 7. The last three all have autism to some degree with the two youngest also having ADHD along with it. My oldest is my only girl and helps out a lot with her brothers. I wasn't really surprised we had a special needs kids. He had odd behaviors and I suspected before we had a diagnosis. I was rather surprised the second time around and by the time the baby got the diagnosis I was just annoyed/pissed for awhile. Fortunately I got over it and just accepted it. Then I tied off my tubes. I wouldn't be able to handle it again.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:04 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Oh,my son just turned 12

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• DS is ADD. But he has learned tricks and tips to function in school. At home, for the most part, we just let him set the pace.
    Starting to think DD may have psychiatric issues
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:40 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My biological daughter is perfectly healthy except fairly mild asthma. But my stepson, who's seventeen, has a lot of special needs. The most prominent ones are Asperger's and ADHD, but he also has sensory processing issues, anxiety issues, a mood disorder, etc. I knew as soon as I met him when he was seven years old that there was something big going on with him, but unfortunately his parents made excuses for him and stayed neck deep in denial for years. So he didn't start getting medical help till middle school, and now we're still working on what should have been done years ago. It's like trying to parent in handcuffs and a gag because if he had been born to me, I would have looked for answers when he was a toddler, if not before. It's pretty likely he had a birth injury, so the issues were there from the beginning.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:02 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My 9 year old was diagnosed last year with mild Asperger's, and a mood disorder-NOS, most of which his high intelligence compensates for. I was more relieved than surprised at the diagnosis. For a few years I'd known something was different about him. The official diagnosis was just the arrow pointing me in the direction I needed to go to educate myself.

My daughter was born with VSD, that closed on its own, but then they found she had PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosis). There's a small valve in the top of the heart that allows blood to bypass the heart before birth. Her's never closed up. At 4.5 they went in through her leg to close it up. She's fine now, and has never had any quality of life issues.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:13 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Youngest dd was normal pregnancy and birth. She developed normally, but in preschool even she lagged behind in reading (she couldn't read at all still). I expressed concern but no one listened. First grade we switched schools. Two months into the first trimester teacher arranged a conference. Dd read and comprehended at a preschool level still. After much testing we found Central Auditory Processing Disorder, ADHD, and Dyslexia. There are now concerns being expressed about Aspergers. She is almost 11 and going into middle school.

I wasn't surprised when we got the dx, by that time I had known something was off for over three years. It's hard when your child appears in every way to be 'normal', but you know otherwise.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• My son is 4 and ws diagnosed with with high functioning autism a few months ago, but while I'm not trying to deny it I still strongly believe it's ADD, not autism. Waiting to get the doctor's opinion at his next appointment as he's only been evaluated by the school district thus far.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I have twin daughters, one has Down Syndrome. I found out with my amnio results.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2013