Do you think this is a good idea?

Well I know alot of you love being around family and friends during the holidays and we do too, but due to my dh's schedule we are not always able to be all together not to mention by the time certain family members get their gifts it's already past Christmas so what is the point.
So I was thinking I would much rather prefer to save money and by November try to make plans to go somewhere for Christmas like a trip or something it doesn't really have to be on Christmas it could be during the December month that way maybe there could be discounts and not much of a crowd.
Really I would like to start this tradition for our family.

Your thoughts?

Thx!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I know of other families that do this. We used to when we lived back home and went to all our family's assorted things, one side has theirs 2 weeks early so everyone is free to go to the other half's family on the day of. If you're making it a trip, you might be even better off to wait until after - say mid-January. The kids in the family and at least some of the adults will have a day off to make a 3 day weekend for MLK day, you'll get better discounts for it not being the Thanksgiving-Christmas travel season, and it takes the stress off the gift buying, everyone can hit the last minute sales on Amazon and not worry about the shipping date.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:00 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• well, you might be surprised at the crowds- I know I was when we went ot Vegas. I have NEVER seen that many people there than I did when we went at Christmas!
    *and I have been there many times
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:01 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I agree that January may be better. Where are you thinking of going? I know Disneyland/Disney World are both very crowded during the months of November/December.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I would absolutely love to go somewhere tropical for Christmas and escape all the unpleasant family drama that tends to go along with the holiday.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:33 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I know people that go to Hawaii for Christmas every year (they live in WA state). I also know a couple form Chicago that go camping in the Keys for a week around Christmas time. Vacation is sometimes a state of mind. If you live somewhere warm then maybe plan a week somewhere that gets snow. Or plan warm weather vacation if you live where it's cold.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:39 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• We did that before we had kids. We took our Vacations during Holiday like Easter, Christmas & Thanksgiving. We went to Hawaii a few times & to see Christmas decorations there was too funny! There were just as many people during Holidays as was normally. Maybe even more since people are off from work anyway. When the kids get bigger I'll definitely take them too. I'd love to do Christmas in Hawaii with the kids.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:46 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I think it is a great idea!

Answer by older at 11:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I have a friend who says that Disney is pretty much deserted at Xmas ... (OTOH she was there over 15 years ago when her daughters were small so things may have changed.)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 11:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I think they will remember a trip more than spending a lot of money on gifts. I've been wanting to do this is a tradition for a long time. I would rather spend a few hundred on an indoor waterpark where I know they will have an amazing time than deal with the stresses of shopping, wrapping, etc. We are too far away from our extended family anyway and aren't very close to any of them,
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2013