The school took my 12 year old child on a dangerous hiking trip and I am angry! What would you do?

I signed a permission slip for my child to go hiking, but not rock climbing! They got lost in the woods and ended up climbing up jagged rocks and boulders to get to the top of the mountain.  Some teachers needed assistance climbing up the big rocks, so the group got split up. They hiked 6 miles in 3 hours without stopping to rest and take drinks. The one teacher kept yelling at them to go faster like they were in boot camp or prisoners! Someone could have passed out from exhaustion or split their head open on the rocks.  I feel like the students lives were endangered!

A school hike should be an educational walk through the woods. There was no talk about wildlife. They were just yelled at to go faster and treated like slaves! I would have never sent my child, if I knew it would be like this! I am angry! My child also came home covered in ticks and pulled a leg muscle. My child is fit and active but this was too much! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I feel the trip was dangerous! I want to make sure this doesn't happen again!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I didn't think a school hike in the woods could turn out so badly! They weren't supposed to be rock climbing!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I can't help but feel there is some embellishment going on here, either by you (OP), or the kids who told the story.

Look, I'm of the opinion that we do kids NO favors by constantly freaking out at the smallest little brush with adversity. No one was hurt, the pace of the trek doesn't seem excessive and they got out in the fresh air. Your kid is 12, not 5.

Before you start thinking attorneys or what have you, maybe have a respectful chat with the school to get the full story. And as for tick, omg. They're everywhere.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I don't see the big deal. 6miles in 3 hours is nothing. I was around 8/9 and did 11 miles in 3-4 hours. And it wasn't rock climbing so much as crawling up a rocky embankment. Rock climbing involves vertical climbing that the school would have to be completely insane to do, which I am going to assume they are not.

No one was hurt and the pass was not excessive.

Let it go
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I think you should put your child safely back into her/his bubblewrap and refuse permission in the future.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• eye rolling

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• So, after they got lost and climbed over rocks to get to the top of a mountain what happened?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:21 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• The school bus met them at the mountain top parking lot and brought them back to school.

The trip was dangerous and not educational. Someone could have been seriously hurt!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• They're still there feral... waiting on the helicopter to rescue them. No food, no water. Haven't you seen the news? Sorry, OP, I too, call BS.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• The real story is something about a hike, maybe a small trail with a few hills.... She's making a mountain out of a mole hill. LOL! PUN INTENDED.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2013