The school took my 12 year old child on a dangerous hiking trip and I am angry! What would you do?

I signed a permission slip for my child to go hiking, but not rock climbing! They got lost in the woods and ended up climbing up jagged rocks and boulders to get to the top of the mountain.  Some teachers needed assistance climbing up the big rocks, so the group got split up. They hiked 6 miles in 3 hours without stopping to rest and take drinks. The one teacher kept yelling at them to go faster like they were in boot camp or prisoners! Someone could have passed out from exhaustion or split their head open on the rocks.  I feel like the students lives were endangered!

A school hike should be an educational walk through the woods. There was no talk about wildlife. They were just yelled at to go faster and treated like slaves! I would have never sent my child, if I knew it would be like this! I am angry! My child also came home covered in ticks and pulled a leg muscle. My child is fit and active but this was too much! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Kids can be seriously hurt on the playground. Do you refuse to your child participate in recess?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:29 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Bullshit. You signed the slip. Sounds like a group of whining Me, Me, Me generation kids and their out of shape helicopter parents. The school knows what these field trips entail. Maybe you should have checked into it more before you signed the permission slip.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I wish I was making a mountain out of a mole hill. This is all true! That's why i'm so upset. I talked with my friends and their kids are telling the exact same story! The school endangered our children's safety!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• If they got lost then how did the bus know where to meet them?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Uh huh.... Let your kid be a kid and quit smothering him.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• They climbed up a hill! They are all OK what do you want to do make it so the school never has field trips??

What did you expect them to do when they got lost? What would your alternative have been??

PS Have you talked with the school at all to get their side of the story?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• The teacher contacted the bus driver by cell phone or walkie talkie.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Mountain top parking lot?
    So the hike started there?

They walked down the mountain and then back up again?
    Or did one of the teachers get on her handy dandy cell and say we are at this location and the bus drove there?
    So if someone had access to a phone and if they had service then they really weren't lost were they?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• It really has come to our attention that all Anonymous Trolls like to argue with and/or reply to each and every answer. Then at the very end, they will resort to profanities and/or a nervous breakdown. Hang in there OP.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:39 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• To say what? We are lost. Try to find us, and then miraculously they met up in a parking lot?

It sounds more like the kids thought it would be a flat trail that they could walk on and mess around and it turns out it was a little bit of work so they complained to mommy and daddy about how haaaard it was. I would think at most it would make me want to ask the teachers about the trip and find out the other side of the story before I got my pants in a wad.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:41 PM on Jun. 8, 2013