The school took my 12 year old child on a dangerous hiking trip and I am angry! What would you do?

I signed a permission slip for my child to go hiking, but not rock climbing! They got lost in the woods and ended up climbing up jagged rocks and boulders to get to the top of the mountain.  Some teachers needed assistance climbing up the big rocks, so the group got split up. They hiked 6 miles in 3 hours without stopping to rest and take drinks. The one teacher kept yelling at them to go faster like they were in boot camp or prisoners! Someone could have passed out from exhaustion or split their head open on the rocks.  I feel like the students lives were endangered!

A school hike should be an educational walk through the woods. There was no talk about wildlife. They were just yelled at to go faster and treated like slaves! I would have never sent my child, if I knew it would be like this! I am angry! My child also came home covered in ticks and pulled a leg muscle. My child is fit and active but this was too much! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• One of my daughters went on a field trip last year. It turned out to be a near catastrophe. It was on a woodland hillside, it rained, the stones were slippery ... When the teacher next saw us she said it was a great day - nobody got injured and nobody got lost :) We roared with laughter at her definition of "a great day".

The kids all said it was one of the best trips they'd been on.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• No, they were dropped off at the parking lot on the bottom. Since they got off the right trail, it took them 3 hrs. to get to the top of the mountain.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Well, you'd better contact CNN then.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:45 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I repeat, what does the school say happened?

Have you even talked with them?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• One of the best hikes I have been on involved 'climbing rocks', crossing under a waterfall (that actually kind of drenched us, not like in the movies where it's a nice carved out overhang), crossing snow fields and encountering dangerous wildlife. 12 miles in 4 hours and I was relatively out of shape.

This is what is wrong with society today. If someone isn't there to carry the kids across the finish line for them and bottle feed them cold water for breaking a sweat then the parents think their child has suffered.

Your child is alive, did not require an emergency room trip or an early pick up. A little discomfort isn't something to sue about.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• So you don't think that the grave danger they put your child in is worthy of an actual physical visit to the office? Get in your car and go to the school and demand to talk to the principal if you are THAT concerned.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:50 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• And just for the record, I live in the mountains.
    I have had a rafting trip go horribly wrong. I had to hike out of a canyon with a morbidly obese spouse and two kids not old enough for school.

we climbed over rocks this small and sometimes larger. At one point we were over 30 feet above the river. If litte kids and a fat man can do this then i am sure your snowflake was able to handle their little excursion.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:54 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Well it just happened and now it's Saturday. I plan to go to the school Monday morning with a bunch of friends. I wanted an outsiders perspective. I think you would feel differently if your child was put in danger by a negligent school!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Actually I wouldn't I have done worse things at a younger age. At 12 he should be more then old enough to handle it. They didn't get so lost that they couldn't be found and they weren't in danger. They got a little out of their way and they had to do some physical work, big deal.

that is what life is about, over coming obstacles. Sounds like a great experience to me.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I am adult enough to know that kids exaggerate and I wouldn't be assuming that they were in danger until I had the other side of the story, or personally went to the location to find out what it was like.

I am also understanding enough to know that sometimes things don't always go as planned. My concern as stated earlier is that parents were not allowed to chaperone (according to what you wrote earlier in this thread). I am wondering why that is. I would want that policy changed. Our school allows at least one parent volunteer to chaperone on field trips that allow only a limited number of people. They must drive themselves to the location (liablilty reasons), but they are allowed to chaperone.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:00 PM on Jun. 8, 2013