The school took my 12 year old child on a dangerous hiking trip and I am angry! What would you do?

I signed a permission slip for my child to go hiking, but not rock climbing! They got lost in the woods and ended up climbing up jagged rocks and boulders to get to the top of the mountain.  Some teachers needed assistance climbing up the big rocks, so the group got split up. They hiked 6 miles in 3 hours without stopping to rest and take drinks. The one teacher kept yelling at them to go faster like they were in boot camp or prisoners! Someone could have passed out from exhaustion or split their head open on the rocks.  I feel like the students lives were endangered!

A school hike should be an educational walk through the woods. There was no talk about wildlife. They were just yelled at to go faster and treated like slaves! I would have never sent my child, if I knew it would be like this! I am angry! My child also came home covered in ticks and pulled a leg muscle. My child is fit and active but this was too much! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Hiking and ticks go hand in hand. Why on earth if they go lost would they go UP the mountain instead of down; the way they came.. Walkie talkie or cell phone is more than enough to call for help if they were in fact lost. I also highly doubt they did any kind of "rock climbing" without the proper equipment..Mountains, trails.. I see climbing over rocks but not the typical term "rock climbing"...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:04 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• They were hiking up the mountain, but they were supposed to stay on well defined trails and not go rock climbing! Someone could have slipped and fell down the mountain!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Clear as mud...smh

Guess that trail was not very well defined, still hard to believe they got "lost" and climbed up instead of going back the way they came..

For some reason every time I read your rock climbing, I am seeing the game off of The price is right....So which mountain was it??
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:15 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• They may have got off the trail, but they were never really LOST, if the teachers had walkie talkies and cell phones. It sounds like the teachers did the best they could in a difficult situation, and kept everyone safe.

I am active, and enjoy hiking, but I think I would have had a hard time climbing up boulders and rocks. I'd give those teachers credit, instead of bashing them!
    ForestFairy09

Answer by ForestFairy09 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I'm not that quick to call bullshit on this post because I can see how something like that *could* happen. Who knows if it actually did, but I can see how it could. When I went on the fourth grade field trip to Mt. Charleston, we had plenty of parent volunteers and it was well organized, but the groups didn't all stick together. If some of them went off in wrong direction, they could have gotten lost and it could have been dangerous. But again, that's why I volunteer for all of those trips.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Also, trails aren't always marked as well as they should be. And that's not the teachers' fault!

ForestFairy09

Answer by ForestFairy09 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:23 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• OP, the pic above is "rock climbing", Im not sure what you are talking about but I highly doubt a group of kids and staff would do this untrained, without a guide and proper equipment...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• ^^^^ this is more like what happend i'm sure.
    tntmom1027