The school took my 12 year old child on a dangerous hiking trip and I am angry! What would you do?

I signed a permission slip for my child to go hiking, but not rock climbing! They got lost in the woods and ended up climbing up jagged rocks and boulders to get to the top of the mountain.  Some teachers needed assistance climbing up the big rocks, so the group got split up. They hiked 6 miles in 3 hours without stopping to rest and take drinks. The one teacher kept yelling at them to go faster like they were in boot camp or prisoners! Someone could have passed out from exhaustion or split their head open on the rocks.  I feel like the students lives were endangered!

A school hike should be an educational walk through the woods. There was no talk about wildlife. They were just yelled at to go faster and treated like slaves! I would have never sent my child, if I knew it would be like this! I am angry! My child also came home covered in ticks and pulled a leg muscle. My child is fit and active but this was too much! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Can you get collaboration from other parents? If so, complain. That's nuts.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:34 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Yikes, watch out for Lyme disease from the ticks.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• what you wrote doesnt sound anywhere near "extreme" hiking. it sounds like whiny ass kids not releasing that hiking isnt a flat walk thru magical fairy land. tell your DS to suck it up and deal with it. they got lost, teachers improvised, and they all got some exercise. OH NOS! life is so hard...better sue the school...cause all those "what ifs" are totally viable reasons to sue...smh.

as for ticks, my DH found one on himself after playing in an overgrown field. it happens. and if your son did in fact pull a muscle, did you go to the hospital? or is it more like he has a sore muscle or had a leg cramp, but you want to be mad at the school so your saying he pulled it.

the only thing you really have to be concerned about is that they dont allow parent chaperons...which is really strange.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I'm not exaggerating! It's just by the the Grace of God everyone's OK!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• How about saying, "If it wasn't for the ingenuity of the teachers..."?
    or
    "If it weren't for determination of the children..."?
    or
    "At least they were able to get cell service..."?

Are you this negative in every aspect of your life?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I wish there was a fine for overuse of exclamation marks.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• "I thought it would be a school appropriate hike, NOT Extreme Hiking!"

You, lady, don't have a clue what extreme hiking is about ... If you think that walking on paths that are not 4 yards wide and that aren't paved or tarred is extreme ... and apparently you do ... you've been living in your bubble too long and watched too much TV.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:46 AM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Well, I think this was very dangerous and so do my friends! We will be going to the school to deal with this!

I bet you'd all feel differently, if a student had fallen climbing up a boulder and cracked their head open! That could have easily happened! We want to make sure no children are put in danger in the future like our children were!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Jun. 9, 2013

• Calm down, Anon. I'm the one who said to lawyer up but I feel you're becoming overwrought. Your child has been in danger since the instant he was conceived; every one of us on earth has been since the moment we were conceived. Way of the world.

Mine was in an accident that required an ambulance at school a couple of months ago. No, I did NOT call a lawyer. He'd been playing basketball. He fell. Big deal.

No, what I am concerned about more than anything else is the way the school didn't want adult chaperones and the alleged treatment by a teacher. "The one teacher kept yelling at them to go faster like they were in boot camp or prisoners! " THAT is bothersome. Going off route bothers the hell out of me. But I'm not at all concerned about the potential for a fall; that goes with walking on two legs.

Go to school on Monday and get some answers. Be prepared to hear inconsistencies between the kids' stories.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:33 PM on Jun. 9, 2013

• You knew your kids was going on a hike and you should have sprayed her with bug repellent. So far as 6 miles in 3 hours, that's nothing to be concerned about. Being yelled out to keep up or go faster? That's probably up for debate. If your fit kid is lagging behind and capable of keeping up, then I can understand the teachers raising their voice since they were outside.

Climbing boulders and rocks? I'm not sure that's considered a hike. If they truly got lost and happened upon them adn there was no other way, I'm not sure they could have done much about it.

Did you daughter see a doctor who said she pulled a muscle? If so, submit the claim to the school. If it's just diagnosed based on symptoms, it's likely sore from activity. Have her take ibuprofen, ice and heat and she'll be fine.

I would chalk it up as experience and ask more questions before her next field trip.

JMO.
    whoodathunk

Answer by whoodathunk at 11:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2013