The school took my 12 year old child on a dangerous hiking trip and I am angry! What would you do?

I signed a permission slip for my child to go hiking, but not rock climbing! They got lost in the woods and ended up climbing up jagged rocks and boulders to get to the top of the mountain.  Some teachers needed assistance climbing up the big rocks, so the group got split up. They hiked 6 miles in 3 hours without stopping to rest and take drinks. The one teacher kept yelling at them to go faster like they were in boot camp or prisoners! Someone could have passed out from exhaustion or split their head open on the rocks.  I feel like the students lives were endangered!

A school hike should be an educational walk through the woods. There was no talk about wildlife. They were just yelled at to go faster and treated like slaves! I would have never sent my child, if I knew it would be like this! I am angry! My child also came home covered in ticks and pulled a leg muscle. My child is fit and active but this was too much! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ticks?!

I'd sue.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:42 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Call an attorney. And call the superintendent's office. And call the district attorney; child endangerment might be involved here.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:43 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I woulds be up at that school having a big fit on the principle and the teachers that went. And my kids would not be going on field trip again.
    You could have done a better job yourself. Going out to the forest.

Answer by louise2 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Yikes! This is one reason I volunteer to go on all my kids' field trips. We've gone hiking before, and it was great. If any of that crap had gone on, I would have been all over the people running the thing.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Parent chaperones were not invited. Our family hikes in those woods. The students were NOT supposed to go rock climbing, but they got lost and ended up going that way.

I am also upset by how far they went in a short amount of time! That is dangerous! And the big rocks! Thank God they all came back in one piece!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Anonymous

• The fact that they weren't ok with parent chaperones would be a problem for me right away. When our kids go on trips like that, there are only 3-4 kids for each parent volunteer. It's to keep the kids safe. There is no way those kids should have done all that. I would be absolutely livid.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:52 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Eh, it was good for them. I bet they'll love retelling this story when they're older.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:59 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Nobody is going to pass out from exhaustion from 6 miles done in 3 hours. Healthy kids should be able to do 3 miles per hour even in the forest ... I think this post is bogus. There's no way a school would ask for permission and then not ensure they don't have enough chaperones. Heck, most of the time they're desperate for chaperones.

Even if this DID occur (which I doubt) where is the problem with doing a bit of climbing. Heck, it would have at least added a bit of interest to the trip.
    Anonymous

• IDK, I don't know that 2 miles an hour is too fast for kids. If anyone did not get hurt there is probably nothing that you can do at this point. You can throw a fit, but what will it gain you? The school ceasing field trips? I would make a bigger deal making them allow parent chaperones. I don't like the idea that the school can take the kids somewhere that parents aren't allowed. As for it being too dangerous, that's an opinion and other parents might not agree with you.

And ticks can happen in your yard. It sucks, but it's not their fault a tick bit your child. If you were really concerned about your kid going on this outing then you shouldn't have given permission for your kid to go.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:07 PM on Jun. 8, 2013