The school took my 12 year old child on a dangerous hiking trip and I am angry! What would you do?

I signed a permission slip for my child to go hiking, but not rock climbing! They got lost in the woods and ended up climbing up jagged rocks and boulders to get to the top of the mountain.  Some teachers needed assistance climbing up the big rocks, so the group got split up. They hiked 6 miles in 3 hours without stopping to rest and take drinks. The one teacher kept yelling at them to go faster like they were in boot camp or prisoners! Someone could have passed out from exhaustion or split their head open on the rocks.  I feel like the students lives were endangered!

A school hike should be an educational walk through the woods. There was no talk about wildlife. They were just yelled at to go faster and treated like slaves! I would have never sent my child, if I knew it would be like this! I am angry! My child also came home covered in ticks and pulled a leg muscle. My child is fit and active but this was too much! What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Anonymous

• I can't help but feel there is some embellishment going on here, either by you (OP), or the kids who told the story.

Look, I'm of the opinion that we do kids NO favors by constantly freaking out at the smallest little brush with adversity. No one was hurt, the pace of the trek doesn't seem excessive and they got out in the fresh air. Your kid is 12, not 5.

Before you start thinking attorneys or what have you, maybe have a respectful chat with the school to get the full story. And as for tick, omg. They're everywhere.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I think you should put your child safely back into her/his bubblewrap and refuse permission in the future.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:13 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• They're still there feral... waiting on the helicopter to rescue them. No food, no water. Haven't you seen the news? Sorry, OP, I too, call BS.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• If they got lost then how did the bus know where to meet them?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:36 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• One of my daughters went on a field trip last year. It turned out to be a near catastrophe. It was on a woodland hillside, it rained, the stones were slippery ... When the teacher next saw us she said it was a great day - nobody got injured and nobody got lost :) We roared with laughter at her definition of "a great day".

The kids all said it was one of the best trips they'd been on.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:44 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• ^^^^ this is more like what happend i'm sure.
    tntmom1027

• Nobody is going to pass out from exhaustion from 6 miles done in 3 hours. Healthy kids should be able to do 3 miles per hour even in the forest ... I think this post is bogus. There's no way a school would ask for permission and then not ensure they don't have enough chaperones. Heck, most of the time they're desperate for chaperones.

Even if this DID occur (which I doubt) where is the problem with doing a bit of climbing. Heck, it would have at least added a bit of interest to the trip.
    Anonymous

• The real story is something about a hike, maybe a small trail with a few hills.... She's making a mountain out of a mole hill. LOL! PUN INTENDED.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:28 PM on Jun. 8, 2013