Health issues with kids?

I am not trying to be mean about this. Just want to know from other mothers.

1. If you know there is a chance you can have children with defects.  Why have children?

2. You have either your first or second child with defects. Why keep having more?

I did not have any problems with my DD"s, defects iI mean.  But I had 2 DD. Wanted a boy for my third.  Knowing their was a not a 100% chance of getting one. I stoped at 2 DD's. I did not want a 3rd DD.

Defects means autism, down syndrom, and all other issues.

Asked by louise2 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• Honestly I don't, she's not the brightest crayon and seems to lack empathy

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:47 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Speaking as someone who has had a defect all of my life, I'm glad to have been born and lived. You're clueless.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:32 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• 1. If you know there is a chance you can have children with defects. Why have children?
    Why did you have kids? ANY child can be born with a "defect." I had no family history of anything, except heart disease for older members.

My oldest has autism. He wasn't diagnosed until I was pregnant with my 3rd. However, having siblings force him to interact has been one of the most beneficial things for him. Had he not had that, I don't believe he would be where he is now.
    I had my 4th and 5th when he was 11 and 13, respectively.

My 15 yo with autism is my most compliant child. He is happy, healthy and loving - who wouldn't want a child like that?!? He has brought an amazing amount of joy to my life. Without autism he would be a different child, I love him the way he is. People need to stop viewing a child with special needs as a "defect"

Answer by missanc at 12:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• Because with our without your so-called "defects" my child(ren) are special and unique. The fact that they see the world and interact with it in a completely different way that I do, is a moot point. Either of my children could be neon orange with lime green polka dots and I would still love them just the way they are.

My son is 9 years old, and has an amazing ability to do math in his head, and is super fascinated by all things science. To look at him he appears to be "normal". Guess what? He's been diagnosed with Asperger's AND ADHD. It's a part of him. It's who he is and how he relates to the world around him.

The fact that you think Autism, Asperger's, Down's or any other less that perfectly "normal" diagnosis is a defect is your problem, not mine.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:48 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• I don't know whether to

1-give you a lesson in special needs,
    2-write you off as an ignorant twit,
    3-or tell you to f*ck off

Answer by butterflyblue19

--------------

well, you already know that I picked #3

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:57 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• And, I don't think you fully grasp how rude & hateful this is coming across to the mother's of special needs children. Answer by 3libras

Mmmmm, something tells me she does know how rude and hateful this is.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:26 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

There ya go, whenever you're having a bad day, remember that you could have had OP for a mother, bet you'll instantly feel a little bit better.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• "What is it then?! The category for autism, down syndrome, ADD, ADHD aspergers and any others"

If you are that ignorant of the subject perhaps you should have avoided it. The generally accepted term is "special needs". I cannot imagine you did not know that (especially with the announcement of the new special needs category) so I'm trying hard to think that you did not mean any offence ... and am failing miserably.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:18 PM on Jun. 8, 2013

• "children with defects"???

IT's not like your buying a car here... it's a child, an life, a human. They're not defective, they have disabilities.
    You really are a douche aren't you louise2. WOW!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 8, 2013